Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just a post to say; i had an angel tuning DPF/EGR remap package...

and WOW!

on the way there over ~90 miles of m-way i averaged 31mpg between 80-85mph

on the way back on the same roads i averaged 41mpg between 90-95mph (with some playing of course)

it pulls like a train, in all gears, turbo spools up pretty much straight away.

they guys were friendly, i sat in their office for 4 hours chatting to them while my car was done, cant recommend them enough, nothing untoward to report at all WELL worth £430

feels like a new car tbh, drives SO much better and a hell of allot quicker.

well chuffed :D

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cropredy bridge, banbury

Angel Tuning Outlets

I think allot of my performance/economy gain was due to the EGR being turned off, as mine was coked up badly...just need to see about cleaning out the coked up inlet...hmmm

it also no-longer stutters/hesitates when cold, and starts nice and easy when cold....:thumbs:

·
Registered
841 Posts
Same as my car has. I'm glad I had this done every single moment of my driving.

Although I do find the mpg shown on the computer is a little "optimistic". I find (by calculation) that its exactly the same mpg as before.

James

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have no real test yet to tell you if the mpg has improved, but i can say that i set off outbound with a little under half (shell diesel in the tank). as i pulled into a petrol station (tesco nasty fuel) the light came on. I filled up £20(not keen on a tank of tesco) and when i got home i had a little under a third left on the gauge. again i say i think i do have a genuine mpg increase because my egr was in such a bad way.

Yep, as previously stated, £430

Im not too sure how alfatune can be 'worth' so much more. they seem to say that because there maps are in-house developed, it costs more. whereas angel also develop their own map and this how they can offer it so cheap (i asked). They said that they've done hundreds of this engine, so can reduce the price.

They said they develop 20 or so maps for an engine,then choose the one that best suits the car in question, then further tweek that map for the specific car.

They did as questions about driving style etc, and straight away knew the right map for me and proceeded to tweek. and it WORKS!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I chose to have the DPF hollowed out, they gave me the option (a replacement section costing £50 i think) but they were adamant that it had no performance benefit to replace it, it is sufficient to just hollow it out.

The egr valve was set to 'closed' in software, then the map makes sure it no longer looks for it. (they had to check mine was actually closed as it was so coked up). They said further blanking it off was not necessary, as it'll never be open again.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
emptying the DPF might be my choice as well when the time comes, I'm just worried about the bleeding new regulations now :(

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
New regulations just stipulate that any manufacturer fitted cat must be present. nothig about DPF.

No point really in gettin a remap with a DPF, it'll just get fuller quicker. the mot wont even check for it.

Side note: Im now running 80/20 biodiesel, when i floor it it smells like a chip shop cos of no DPF :p

·
Registered
841 Posts
New regulations just stipulate that any manufacturer fitted cat must be present. nothig about DPF.

No point really in gettin a remap with a DPF, it'll just get fuller quicker. the mot wont even check for it.

Side note: Im now running 80/20 biodiesel, when i floor it it smells like a chip shop cos of no DPF :p
I've heard these modern diesels shouldn't use any kind of biodiesel. Something about fuel pump and injector failure as I recall. Have you been using biodiesel for long?

James

·
Registered
2,154 Posts

No point getting a remap with a DPF :confused: what about better driveability? more power? better MPG (slightly) etc etc :rolleyes:

And yes the MOT will soon be checking for it

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ive read lots of opinions/speculations on why its bad, but seen no proof or documentation to back it up.

angel tuning SHOWED my cars (specifically with the jtdm engine) that run biofuel with no problem, plus i know of lots of people running on bio in the fiatforum in the 1.9 JTD...

so far no problems, (only had the car a month!) done 300 miles on bio, will change the fuel filter win a few more hundred, starts fine, runs fine, pulls HARD. plus you smell like a chippy :p

if anything ill happily be a guinea pig, its 20p per L cheaper than normal diesel...and filling station is a short boot round the a406 from me (bout 5 miles)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No point getting a remap with a DPF :confused: what about better driveability? more power? better MPG (slightly) etc etc :rolleyes:

And yes the MOT will soon be checking for it
Ok, you'll get better disability, but the power increase will be reduced because your not getting rid of the DPF (blockage) in the exhaust.

show me your source saying they're going to check DPFs, i can't find that anywhere (that includes speaking to my local mot station)...plus mine still looks like it has one ;)

1 - 20 of 82 Posts