Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whilst in for a service the mechanic mentioned my front tyres were too small, 195's instead of 205's (which are on the back).

Now they've been on since before i got the car and i haven't noticed any problems but then again i haven't known any different.

So, are there any issues and whilst i won't be shelling out on a new pair of tyres would it be worth swapping the smaller ones to the back??

ta

Simon

·
Premium Member
42,863 Posts
IMO i would get the correct tyre size on ASAP.......... it's what keeps you on the tarmac..

E

·
0 Posts
I'd get them changed. I would imagine if you had an accident it may be something that would be picked up, and give you grief. A set of 205's shouldn't be too much and with winter on the way new tyres can't be a bad thing.

Also smaller tyres might affect the rolling radius if the profile is not correct, you might be racking up more or less miles than you really are.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
will 10mm really make that much of a difference???

·
Registered
869 Posts
If you had an accident and the front tyres were found to be the root cause of the accident ie through lack of grip then you may find your insurance void.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeh, that could be a problem!

what about swapping the thinner ones to the back?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
rolling radius wouldn't be affected if the side profile is correct at 50.

How much life have you left in them, if not much and you can afford to then it would be better to get them changed.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
there's plenty of wear left and to make things worse i had to have a front replaced due to cracking last year. I didn't know about it then and the fiiter just "replaced" the old one.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
rolling radius wouldn't be affected if the side profile is correct at 50.
YES it will.
Because the "50" is a percentage, not a dimension.

So 195/50R16 is 10mm smaller in diameter than 205/50R16.

Get a pair of 205/50R16 on the front ASAP and bin the 195/50R16.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
YES it will.
Because the "50" is a percentage, not a dimension.

So 195/50R16 is 10mm smaller in diameter than 205/50R16.

Get a pair of 205/50R16 on the front ASAP and bin the 195/50R16.
oops didn't know that. sorry!! so being smaller does that mean your clocking up miles quicker than you should??

If you need to get tyres, i bought a pair of 205 50 16 falken fk452 from blackcircle for less than £125. if you need to PM me and i have a refer a freind code, £5 off and points for me!!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
i would say that the size is not a concern, as long as the speed rating is correct there isnt an issue, although a set of 205 tyres would be better (more grip, more accurate speedo etc.) there isnt really an issue, the 156 for example on 16" sp alloys has 205 tyres but the non sp 15" alloys and steels run on 195 tyres (even the 2.5v6 :eek: )

195/55 would be the correct rolling radius where 205/55 is the correct radius
if you swapped the 195 tyres to the rear it would likely be tail happy on the limit of grip where at the moment it would just understeer, putting them on the rear is slightly unsafe, front is ok though

·
Registered
333 Posts
i actually am bemused that you can be told to bin the tyres,its hardly a high performance sports car and would be legal to drive with this set up. perish the thought what would happen if you needed to use the spacesaver

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
the 156 for example on 16" sp alloys has 205 tyres but the non sp 15" alloys and steels run on 195 tyres (even the 2.5v6 :eek: )
NO NO NO...!

No 156 has ever used "195" tyres.
The 15" 156 size was 185/65R15 for the smaller engines and 205/60R15 91W for the V6.

The 16" size was 205/55R16, so you got that bit correct... :lol:

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
i actually am bemused that you can be told to bin the tyres,its hardly a high performance sports car and would be legal to drive with this set up. perish the thought what would happen if you needed to use the spacesaver
I said to bin them because they are undersized and not up to spec.

Re the spacesaver, with that you are limited to 50miles @ 50MPH. And trust me, you will not be going that quick with a spacesaver on!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
i stand corrected,
just checked the owners manual 185/65 :thumbs:
my v6 came with 195/60, i just assumed that they were the standard size then quickly baught some 17" wheels :D

i hate to think how the v6 would drive on 185/65/15

:eek:

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
i stand corrected,
just checked the owners manual 185/65 :thumbs:
my v6 came with 195/60, i just assumed that they were the standard size then quickly baught some 17" wheels :D

i hate to think how the v6 would drive on 185/65/15
So your 156 came with the wrong size tyres on too...!
It seams there are a lot of people not paying attention when buying new tyres. :tut:

A V6 would never have 185/65R15, only 205/60R15 on 15"

·
Registered
38,275 Posts
I would get some tyres from Blackcircles. In fact I just bought a pair of those Falkens mentioned above for my coupe as they are the same size as the GTV.

Then if the ones on ther have plenty of tread and are in good condition sell them on ebay to get some money back.

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
If a tyre was replaced for cracking, I would wonder how old the tyres on your car are......

Tyres that have been in storage should not be placed into use if they are over 6 years old, from their date of manufacture. When a tyre has been in use, the effects of aging are lessened to a degree, but such tyres should be replaced after 10 years.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Can vouch for Falken FK-452's as well. Got a pair on the back and they seem fine. Don't take it to kwik fit, they tried to put 205/55/16's on instead of 205/50/16 and as result I had to fork out a little more cash. :mad:

·
Registered
449 Posts
I once had some 195's on my Corrado, the standard was 205 but at the time I wasn't doing too well for money and any 205+ tyre was almost twice the price of the equivalent 195.

That's possibly why the previous owner had slightly narrower tyres fitted on your car, to save a packet. Unless the potential insurance validity bothers you and the tyres have ample tread, I personally wouldn't bin them. The difference in performance was minimal on the Corrado, and that baby was pulling 210 bhp / 223 lb ft through the front wheels.

Ultimately it's up to you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts