Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
13,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just fitted the above filter to my 156 JTS. :) :) :) with a little help!

What a noise and difference. The sound is as an ALFA should sound ..

Get out there and buy one :D

They are a little pricey but had a K&N on my previous 147 which was ok but BMC is the way to go well chuffed:thumbs:

Did a run through the only tunnel here in cork and what a sound.

Im going to drive through it at least once every night:D

·
Registered
13,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
I'd be interested in seeing pictures of the installation too.

D

·
0 Posts
It's easy enough Roswell just need to get the standard airbox out which is the hard thing to do. You need a wide piece of silicone piping to go between the MAF and the top of the Airbox.

It makes the thortle response much chrisper and sounds good too:D Was worth the effort thankfully:D

·
Registered
13,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Roswell as the Boy said you need two to do it it'd be a difficult job by yourself.

Will try to get pics and post them but its all in now so we shall see.

If I could post the BIG :) i had when i heard the difference everybody wud fit one

·
Registered
106 Posts
I would also be interested to see how you fitted yours because when installing my bmc on the car what I actually did was removing the standard air filter box, fitted de bmc cda in the exact same way and went with the pipe which sucks air from the neck of the bmc straight up under the wing, just as where the original filter used to suck air.

I am not 100% sure that the result is the maximum I can get from this, the noise is present but not I was expecting it to be, the throttle response improved just a little, and overall, I have to say I expected maybe a little more from this tweak.

Please try to explain as detailed as you can the way and place you fitted yours, maybe adding some pics too would help even more.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
When you say it sounds good, can you explain? I'm thinking of doing it myself, but I make longer journeys and I want it to sound good without being too loud and looking like a boy racer.

Cheers!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have taken out all the system with the filter box and resonator.After the pipe with the maf comes straight on the bmc cda which has fitted to its top the pipe through where it sucks air.

Regarding the noise I have to say that I can hardly hear it inside, only having a good ear helps you tell if something is changed there.

·
Vendor
46,130 Posts
Corbo - the noise is most prevelant when you floor it at low revs. Under normal driving (squeezing the throttle slowly) it doesn't make much difference to the noise. Only when you put your foot down, it amplifies the 'gulping' noise your engine makes as its sucking in all that air. It does sound wicked, but I reckon my cone filter is louder, I changed to a cone filter from a BMC and while I really like the BMC CDA, I reckon a cone filter with adequate heat sheilding and a good cold air feed does just as good job.

The reason I changed was only because I didn't have anywhere to mount the CDA and no way of supporting its weight, it was just hanging which I didn't like.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
when i had the BMC CDA on my 147 i had it fitted in the same place as the stock airbox was but had the cold air feed direct from the front grill. i drilled out the front grill to give it a better supply. it fits nicely onthe 147, cant imagine the 156 being too difficult to get it to the front grille. this way give superb throttle response and pulled very well on the move

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
i have one fitted on my 156, great sound, although i had to overcome the problem of having nowhere to secure it to. ended up making a custom bracket using the clamp that comes with the CDA, and a very old stud tightening spanner from a pair of footie boots! :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
when i had the BMC CDA on my 147 i had it fitted in the same place as the stock airbox was but had the cold air feed direct from the front grill. i drilled out the front grill to give it a better supply. it fits nicely onthe 147, cant imagine the 156 being too difficult to get it to the front grille. this way give superb throttle response and pulled very well on the move
My only concern is for the rainy days or when encountering some water on the road, I want to be sure that it doesn't suck water in and destroy the engine.Any thoughts on this matter?

·
Vendor
46,130 Posts
My only concern is for the rainy days or when encountering some water on the road, I want to be sure that it doesn't suck water in and destroy the engine.Any thoughts on this matter?
Never happened to me in the 2.4 JTD or V6 and I've had some waves come over the bonnet.. However I did ford a very deep puddle in the JTD and just remove the pipe from the throttle body so the engine was sucking it straight in there. No boost and the car didn't like it (had to unplug the MAF as well), but it got through and it was better than the filter acting as a straw (water was not far off the bottom of the doors!)

·
Registered
13,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fitted in without flaying around the place. The bracket that comes with filter is screwed on to original filter bracket just under the fuse box in front of battery. Then routed the air intake up rather than out the wing and i feel its better that way as it had a tendancy to suck children up:)

I,m not sure lads but it makes a real difference to the sound and imho i can hear it at most revs but as you say much better up in the rev range. Will try and organise some pics but wont have time till weekend.

But well worth the effort:cool:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Never happened to me in the 2.4 JTD or V6 and I've had some waves come over the bonnet.. However I did ford a very deep puddle in the JTD and just remove the pipe from the throttle body so the engine was sucking it straight in there. No boost and the car didn't like it (had to unplug the MAF as well), but it got through and it was better than the filter acting as a straw (water was not far off the bottom of the doors!)

The air feed was directly from the front bumper?I imagine if it was like this it should have been somewhere near the fog light and it would be a good thing to know that in this position it doesn't suck water in.

Some pics would really be a million help....if you have the time.

Ciao

1 - 20 of 64 Posts