Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was a really strange feeling. Just been to have a look at a W reg Alfa for £1500 at a garage. Initially the bodywork ( except the small rear spolier which was a slightly different shade ), wheels and interior were fine. It had done 62k so I went to find the garage salesman/owner and ask about the service history which he duly found and I had a look. Found out that it hadn't been serviced since Nov 07 at 44k, neither had it had the belt done. He queried why I was concerned about the cambelt and I would be getting a lot of car for the money anyway. So, having explained to him about the belt he made a few phone calls and said he would do it for a £100 over the asking price. I then noticed that the rear bumper had been hit by a tow bar and it was carcked and pushed through in a ball shape ( not all the way through however ) so commented it was a shame about the bumper thinking he might then knock the £100 off. No, he just locked the car and walked back into his office!! I didn't even get offered a test drive. Strange.
Thing is do I go back knowing that I could get a bumper off Ebay for £60 or so and fit it myself, should the spoiler be a different colour ( because of its age? ).
Hmmm..

·
Registered
410 Posts
He dosen't want to sell it to anyone who knows anything about Alfas , as they will come back and give him hassle when things go wrong. He is looking for a mug for a quick sale and then to fob off when things break.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
had the same feeling from the garage which sold me mine...i knew why having been down there the night before and given her a goood look over while he wasnt there, took a look at the underside knowing that 156's liked to "kiss" the floor from time to time, spotted the damage to the bottom of the bumper and the flattend exhaust pipe, couple of tiny scratches here n there

managed to get him down from £1400 to £1000 in the end though so dont give up, could be playing the "cold sale" technique on you, especially if its a large engine your going for as they are not selling well in uk at the moment so they want rid of them :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Personally I would be looking for a big discount, and then get the belts done yourself. If he did get them done, likelyhood is it would be a botch job under the arches somewhere. I would rather price the work and go to him with cash in hand. At least you would have the confidence in any work carried out, and the knowledge that the tensioners etc have been done too.

Chances are, he has had the car for a while, making the 20 month since service look worse than it really is.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Personally I would be looking for a big discount, and then get the belts done yourself. If he did get them done, likelyhood is it would be a botch job under the arches somewhere. I would rather price the work and go to him with cash in hand. At least you would have the confidence in any work carried out, and the knowledge that the tensioners etc have been done too.

Chances are, he has had the car for a while, making the 20 month since service look worse than it really is.
couldnt agree more!!

also have a quick check of the tax disk, the one on mine had expired 6 months previous to me buying it so i knew the car had been there a while....you could just ask him but chances of getting the truth are slim to none :lol:

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Also, ask if HE claimed the tax back if its not on the screen. The rules changed ,I think it was January, so only the registered keeper of the vehicle can get a tax refund. If HE did it, the car must have been there since at least the turn of the year. That means the service record, though broken, is not far from being up to date. (but needing done immediately)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm unsure so like you've all said best to walk away. And I would also be nervous of the garage doing teh cambelt too. As for how long he has had it, he has only just put it on Autotrader today, not that that is anything to go by. Its a shame I suppose as teh bodywork was really good except for the spolier shade and the bumper. And does anyone know why skirts sometiems get stuck on with what looks like evo-stick ( brown-ish looking adhesive ).

·
Registered
314 Posts
No, he just locked the car and walked back into his office!! I didn't even get offered a test drive. Strange.
Don't go back, he's a [email protected] salesman :(. I've experienced that very same thing with an Alfa Indy (name will not be mentioned). The Alfa in question needed cosmetic work done, and after the guy was questioned about discounts or repairs, he walked back into his office .... not a goodbye or even a grunt!

Another dealer was selling a silver 156. I asked him two questions via txt message, and he replied as follows:

wni04n80-543y9-n42hg9-n42jt9j42g
5ey0rg0djie338e9fjreg0fpgk49suygsdyd
49439hef9jh9jg9rjg
9j49tj49
You get the idea :rolleyes:

2nd hand car dealers are a "special" breed :lol:

·
Registered
349 Posts
It's wierd isn't it?

What I was looking at 156's, I went see a 2.0 T Spark in that pearlescent blue / cream flip colour marked at £2995 with 60k on it. Having arrived, I noted the fag burn in the worn looking blue velour, lack of service history, the large dent in the rear passenger's door and huge quantity of chips and scratches all over it.

To be honest, at that money I figured it was time to walk anyway, but I'd see what he'd go to on the basis of the bodywork costing a fortune to sort out.

He basically offered to throw in a free touch up pen, and when I asked about the door he said 'look mate, you either want it or you don't. It's a bargain at this price'.

Needless to say I then went and bought the immaculate dark red one at a dealership around the corner from him, same price but lower miles and FSH with belts done 500 miles ago. I compromised on spec and colour for the right car, and certainly don't regret it now :)

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
I'm unsure so like you've all said best to walk away. And I would also be nervous of the garage doing teh cambelt too. As for how long he has had it, he has only just put it on Autotrader today, not that that is anything to go by. Its a shame I suppose as teh bodywork was really good except for the spolier shade and the bumper. And does anyone know why skirts sometiems get stuck on with what looks like evo-stick ( brown-ish looking adhesive ).
The car may not of been made with skirts on it originally and one of the previous owners will of more than likely stuck them on with some form of resin/sealent etc

not to say walk away....it could be a very good car, if you have your heart set on it then get the price down and check the car with a fine tooth comb paying paticular attention to the areas which are normally attended to on a service as it may of been serviced by the previous owner.

on the same note dont rush into it, as someone else said earlier (yes i forgot who it was lol) there are plenty of 156's out there so you wont miss out

good luck :thumbs:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So except for Autotrader, Ebay, Pistonheads and Motors.co.uk where else can I look, Oh there Trovit.
Help as going looking this weekend and don't want my dad to push me in a crap direction ( long story ). Yes I'm certainly old enough to make up my own mind before you say but I find it can help with another pair of eyes looking at the car.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
i stumbled across mine in a local paper, there was a advert in there for a car sales company and it was in there. ive not had any major problems with it, giving her a service when i get back from greece in a couple of weeks and im pretty sure she will motor along happily.

just look around everywhere im sure some guys will know of sites which are good but im afraid i dont!
a friend of mine has just bought a 1.6TS 156 off ebay without even viewing it!!! RISKY buisness but then it was a good tool for him to get money off as he was doing the guy a favour in buying it from him with out viewing but it could come round to bite him in the end!

always good to get someone else with you!! i know this from experience! if you go to view a car then chances are you have already bought it in your head so its worth hving someone there to convince you otherwise if its a lemon :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
I wanna add my experience when I looked at a sporting stilo, it was this private dealer who sold from home, he wouldn't let me test drive it or anything, other than just look at it, I said how do I know that nothing is wrong then, he said you can see it all there, and that I was only allowed to test drive it after I bought it, people like that I just think are absolute dicks that make me laugh. Me, being the age that I am, subsequently phoned his house up at random intervals through the course of dusk to dawn multiple days a week to thank him for the hospitality.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
I wanna add my experience when I looked at a sporting stilo, it was this private dealer who sold from home, he wouldn't let me test drive it or anything, other than just look at it, I said how do I know that nothing is wrong then, he said you can see it all there, and that I was only allowed to test drive it after I bought it, people like that I just think are absolute dicks that make me laugh. Me, being the age that I am, subsequently phoned his house up at random intervals through the course of dusk to dawn multiple days a week to thank him for the hospitality.
haha :lol: love it :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
So except for Autotrader, Ebay, Pistonheads and Motors.co.uk where else can I look, Oh there Trovit.
Help as going looking this weekend and don't want my dad to push me in a crap direction ( long story ). Yes I'm certainly old enough to make up my own mind before you say but I find it can help with another pair of eyes looking at the car.
Why not try and find a car thats been well maintained and cherished by a loving owner....possibly someone selling a car off here for example.:thumbs:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well guys, after seeing the rubbish I saw at the weekend for far too much money, my dad went to this garage and thought the car was really good and, as it was a different salesperson, got a slightly better feeling about the car. So, whether right or not, I have bought it this morning. Oh dear! I'll only be its 3rd owner as well. The car is almost in mint condition except for the rear bumper and the lack of service for the last 18 months, but the last owner only put 4 new tyres on it a couple of months ago so why do that if you intended selling it? So I get it later in the week and am taking it to a really good garage ( owner has a 156 so he knows about them ) to get a good 60k service, cambelt and waterpump ( better to be safe ).
Now, I'm unsure what to do about the bumper, do I fill it in and get it sprayed or look for a used red one at a breakers or Ebay? Any idea which would the cheaper option?
Also, the driver side rear passenger elec window doesn't work which its a bad thing as it stops my girls from opening them! I know this is a common fault but pointers for correcting the prob would be good.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts