Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive owned this 147 since new, my missus's car. Despite offering to get a new fiesta she wants to keep it or maybe get a GT. Anyways she parks in a retail park everyday and as a result every panel has a ding, I lost interest in it years ago and other than MOT work and the odd oil change I neglected it. Wasnt suprised when it stripped its second cam belt at 90k miles then. It snapped its first belt at 40k and cost me £1400 to get back on the road.... but it was only 3years old. However after being hit with the cost of a new boiler and a few other big bills over xmas I decided/had to a diy job on it.
Anyways cut a long story short decided to get a breakers yard engine and picked up a low miles 2006 example. Ignored everyones advice and lifted the old one out instead of dropping it.
It had a new looking cam belt with shiny tensioner and pulleys and fresh paint marks on the pulleys ... Not taking a chance so bought a belt kit and the proper timing tools. Jeez no timing marks anywhere :confused: but with help from this and other forums I worked it out :thumbs:

Just wanna say thanks to everyone on this forum, the search engine has been priceless. Without you guys and my dodgy copy of elarn I'd still be out there freezin my **** off :thumbs:

Went out this morning to finish the alfa..

Auxillary belt, gearbox oil, change, air filter system fitted, battery tray in, bonnet on, wheels on etc etc. Moment of truth time, turned the key and it fired up imediately.... So ****ing relieved that I had a little dance in the street :D

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
I think if I was to do an engine swap I'd either hire a crane or take the front of the car off and remove the engine from the front. Don't think I could lift the car high enough to drop it out from the bottom.

More work though and for the cost of an engine swap I might even pay someone to do it as I'm sure a swap wouldnt cost that much more than £600 for the lot.

In anycase well done. Its not something I've ever done even a straight swap. But its one of those logisitical nightmare jobs that looks much harder to do with out a crane.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts