Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, Just bought a 99 Black TGV 2.0 Lusso, with 17" Teledial wheels, black momo interior and twin exhaust :D with 50k and full Alfa Service History. Garage I go it from did a full service and changed the cam belt and stuff too. Great car I love it, been an Alfa lover for years, so v glad to finally have one.

Anyhow, have a couple of small problems with it. The temp gauge when I start the car up with all the fans/air con off, it warms up lovely and the gauge happily sits at 90 degrees after 10/15 minutes or so, it will drop to about 80 if I have the heaters on full blast. However, as soon as I dive anywhere, the gauge drops back to 50 within 5 minutes and doesn't move again till I stop the car :mad: I've reseatrched other threads, could the thermostat be stuck in the open position? If so how do I remedy this?

Next little issue is the rear window heater doesn't work :( Where do I start fault finding with that?

All help appreciated

·
Registered
629 Posts
if you are getting warm air from the heater after 2/3 miles of driving from a cold start up then i would say that the thermostat is ok.
if you do need to change it, it is a complete unit, comes with it's housing.
the gauge readings sounds about normal to me, it is cold this time of year so the blast of air at speed will take it down to 50 or so.

there have been a couple of cases of car's going up in flames due to the rear heater fuse/wiring, check the fuse box and general area for any signs of melting plastic etc.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Sounds like the stat to me. I replaced mine before Christmas on the 155, which has the same engine as yours.
I was having the exact same problems as you and was really noticeable in cold weather on the motorway where temp guage would drop to the min, but then gradually rise back up when I stopped.

You should be able to get really hot air from the heater (not just warm) so there's the biggest clue as earthman says.

After replacing mine I can get hot air in the car after less then 5 mins, and temp runs at about 75-80 on the motorway.
My mpg has shot up too now that the car is running at the right temp.

btw there are two different types of stat, one with only 1 lower connector, and the other type has 2 lower connectors in the T-shape.

You can tell by comparing these pictures to under the bonnet.
http://www.shop4parts.co.uk/index.cfm/method/catalogue.list/

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep that sounds exactly like mine, fuel consumption is also higher than what it should be. Will sort it out when I have time tomorrow, had a warranty with the car, so will check to see if it's covered. Cheers

Annoyingly I just put fuel in, and now the catch on that cap won't release, and I can't close it. Wedged shut with a blob of blu tak for the time being

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Black, defintely the colour for a GTV :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Absolutely :) Ok thermostat is covered by warranty, but to much grief involved on making a claim on it, and for the sake of £30 for a new one, may as well get it myself.

A

·
0 Posts
If you only just bought the car I would expect the garage to do the repair themselves, not by a long winded warranty claim. Ask him to supply the part for free at least. Easy job to do, but mind your fingers on those pesky hose clips that Alfa use!

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Gary Slegg said:
Black, defintely the colour for a GTV :)
You meant red of course and must have slipped on your keyboard :)

R

·
0 Posts
Easy way to spot a failed thermostat is as follows,

1. Start the engine.
2. Hold the top radiator pipe coming from the thermostat (radiator end).
3. If this heats up straight away, the thermostat has failed.
4. If not, leave the engine to warm up. At 85 or so the pipe should get hot (thermostat ok).

If you make sure you give your chassis number when ordering the part you should get the right type.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, started it up, the tope hose didn't get hot straight away, been ticking over for about 10 minutes, got up to 90 degrees, took it for a 2.5 mile drive, not particularly fast, and it was quite mild today, by the time I got back the gauge was back down to 50 again, then started rising when I parked up. The air inside gets warm, but never more than that. Going by what mo4 said, I think the stat is faulty

R

·
0 Posts
Does sound like a faulty stat, did the hose start to get warm quickly? maybe I wasn't clear enough. The hose shouldn't get warm at the radiator end until the car is up to temperature (It should stay pretty cool) so if you start getting heat in that pipe at all before the car is warm, then the stat is faulty.

It does sound like you're having a stat problem though so I would just change it along with the temp sender for peace of mind. should be ok then, good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ye the pipe was warm way before the car was up to temp. Faulty stat it is then, I shall order a new one this evening. Thanks for the help chaps

R

·
0 Posts
No problem, just make sure you get the right one, I would recommend using either shop4parts or alternative autos

Make sure you have the last 8 digits of your chassis number to make sure you get the correct type. It's not a bad job to do, but i would recommend buying a selection of jubilee clips before starting it as you'll need them to replace the factory clips.

Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok will do. Back onto the rear winscreen not working, checked the fuse box today and disocovered why it doesn't work. There was no 30 amp fuse in the slot, the slot had melted all around the pins. I have a fuse to put in there, and there's enough of the slot left for it to still fit. However I'm obviously a little worried I might trigger off whatever went wrong with it in the first place. Any ideas as to my next step?

R

·
0 Posts
Sounds worrying, I heard a while back about some of these fuseboxes getting moisture on them and burning out. But not heard anything for a while. Not sure what to suggest, maybe get an auto electrician to test the circuit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts