Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone...

I'm just about to order an new car for my wife through my companies salary sacrifice scheme. I just have one question.

She drives to work each day and its about 15-20 mins in the car, I was going to order a diesel model but will there be any issues as far as the DPF is concerned.... when does it do its self clean and how often?

The spec I am going to order her is

Giulietta 1.6 JTDM-2 Veloce
Alfa Red Metallic or Etna Black Metallic (she wants to see them in the flesh)
Dark Tinted Windows
Bi-xenon headlights
Folding mirrors
Parking sensors
Visability pack
Bose sound system
Red Calipers (this may get dropped)

Let me know your thoughts.....

·
Registered
114 Posts
Mine has just come up for the first time and that was about 5.5k miles. My wife uses the car daily but is only a 5-10 min drive to her work and this wasn't enough to turn the light off initially. I took it out for a drive to satisfy it and drove from my house to just past her work so about 10-15 mins and that seemed to do it ok.
Although it doesn't say it in the book I reckon it really only does it once the engines warm and probably lasts for about 5 mins once so.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers.. I would get a petrol but its a hefty price increase on the leasing cost I am having to pay on the companies scheme..

Especially as I can add nice things like Bose instead...

·
Registered
337 Posts
Ive ordered Etna black it looks great when its sunny, but it will be a massive pain to keep clean.

Folding mirrors, The shape of the casing means they still stick out a bit and they dont fold when you lock the car. Having said that I still ordered them.

After hearing the bose and the standard system , I dont think its worth the extra money.

I wish I had ordered the brake calipers on mine so you should go for them.

Have you considered the 18'' wheels ? they really do make the car look its best.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I don't know the prices, but I would easily sacrifice Bose and folding mirrors for a petrol engine if that's a deal on the table. Could probably drop the red calipers and maybe even the bi-xenons for the petrol as well.

I might add that I'm not especially fond of diesel engines. I test drove a car with Bose and I didn't really think it's that much better than the original stereo (just make sure you get Blue&Me for BT and USB-port), and the folding mirrors apparently doesn't really fold that much.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mmmm... some food for thought...
The wife is gonna test drive one next week so we will be able to make a decision then...

The downside is the car scheme my employers are runnign is fully maintained and insured for a set fee.... The petrol version is almost £80 a month higher than the diesel.....

I will see what we think of the stereo and make a choice on the BOSE.. Although I have heard the Bose at full volume as we had them as medical cars for the World Superbikes this year at Silverstone and the sound was truely impressive from outside the car... You couldn't actually sit in the car if you ever wanted to hear again!

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I havent had my Bose turned up that loud (about 22 has been the highest) and it is nice, but the standard radio / speakers are very good. The standard stereo also has graphic equalizer settings that are removed from the bose. You just get treble/bass +/-5 on the bose.
I have not noticed any music coming from the front central speaker.

Try and keep the red brakes if you can. They are uprated brembo units rather than just painted standard calipers and do look nice behind any alloy.

·
Registered
337 Posts
try and keep the red brakes if you can. They are uprated brembo units rather than just painted standard calipers and do look nice behind any alloy.
+1

N

·
0 Posts
The downside is the car scheme my employers are runnign is fully maintained and insured for a set fee.... The petrol version is almost £80 a month higher than the diesel.....
If it is a fully maintained car I wouldn't be worried about DPF issues, you won't have to pay anything if there are problems.

·
Registered
34,458 Posts
I experienced EGR issues with the 147 Q2 jtdm half way through warranty and it was most inconvenient even if the repair cost me nothing! My Multipla with the 8v version of the same engine has had no issues and the "rugged" feel of the diesel engine is quite suitable in that car .But not for a Giulietta !

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I experienced EGR issues with the 147 Q2 jtdm half way through warranty and it was most inconvenient even if the repair cost me nothing! My Multipla with the 8v version of the same engine has had no issues and the "rugged" feel of the diesel engine is quite suitable in that car .But not for a Giulietta !
I had my EGR fail on my 147TI 3 months out of warranty, followed by needing a replacement inlet manifold 2 months later due to seized butterfly flaps, i suspect due to dislodged soot etc. Not much change out of £1500 from my main stealer.
2 Days then a week with out the car was inconvenient too.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Unfortunately not :(

Just started to get a sticky throttle problem on my G now :(
I'm going to start a new thread on it as i have not seen it mentioned before.
The dealer has been very helpful so far.

·
Registered
34,458 Posts
my dealer seemed to have no urgency on the gearshift issue.Two months after the issue was reported to them it's fixed,but they "adjusted" it first attempt and obviously did not try it before giving the car back.Then ordered the parts.a bit disappointing .Still ,it works like it should now.

·
Registered
45 Posts
and the red brakes are a £300 option but a £1300 retro fit, apparently, so spec now as I suspect that they will be in high demand on resale
My dad is awaiting delivery of his alfa and I just told him that the red brakes are infact a Brembo upgrade, his responce was :cry: :cry: :cry: Why don't alfa make this clear? they are tucked away under 'styling' and were dismissed as £360 for a bit of paint. Having had them on my 406 coupe I know just what he has missed out on.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well the order is in!

Afla Romeo Giulietta 1.6 JTDM-2 Veloce
Alfa Red Metallic
Tinted Windows
Bi-xenon
Rear Parking sensors and Multifunctional Display
Visibility Pack
My Port Socket
Red Brake Calipers

Now comes the wait for the Authorisation from the company and the wait for delivery!

The wife drove one today and was well impressed even with the standard brakes! Much better than her crappy 11 year old focus Zetec

·
Registered
9 Posts
Please get a petrol my 159 diesel is having all sorts of problems . wife travels 15 mins journey twice a day , dpf is not getting time to regenerate this can cause all sorts of problems . im having to run down the motorway once a week on advice of dealer just to maintain running performance. hope this helps.

·
Registered
34,458 Posts
Too late gpezzer! he's ordered a diesel.Not what I did but perhaps the jtdm2 is improved over our experience with the 1.9.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts