Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1.6 Twinnie had its oil changed cca. 3k miles ago.

I havent bee checking it for a while (as I have noticed that it stopped using oil, after the belts were done).

Yesterday morning, I checked it and it was very low (though zero degrees cold engine).I put a liter of Selenia in it yesterday just to be on the safe side.

This morning (I checked the warm engine TBH), I found the reading above average, exceeding a bit.

- have I made a mistake in checking it? which is better read, cold or warm engine?
- if it is a bit overfilled (not much, I only put a liter in it), can something go wrong?

All the way to monday, holidays are here, so I cant get it drained out.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I always messure mine on a cold engine, this way most of the oil in the engine has drained to the sump giving a true indication of how much oil it contains.

If you put too much in, you can cause damage to the engine. Im not 100% what exact damage is done as i have never really given it much thought. I guess more oil pressue, more strain on componants such as valve stem seals, perhaps piston rings etc. A couple of mm above the max line on the dip-stick should burn off rarther quickly.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I always check my oil after the car has been standing for a few hours so the oil is cold and everything has drained back into the sump, if you run it with low oil then you are asking for trouble the big ends will start making a tapping sound, There are always alot of Alfas on E-bay with this problem most of them up for sale as spares!! check you oil every week!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts