Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we got our 147 just over 2 years ago, despite a few cosmetic things the body and underneath were real sound. However the car had been neglected. The one item of neglect had been cam belt and more so, the oil had not been changed(as far as I could tell) since the last cam belt. When I did change the cam belt I had to put in a new (S/H) exhaust cam, there were hardly any lobes. Once all up and running, the car was using a lot of oil. Two years on and with regular oil changes (Fuchs) the oil consumption has stabilised, well better than that, it hardly uses any. I guess the use of decent oil has freed up the oil control rings. Next this summer is to go over the suspension, there are a few rattles. Even so, at even only 1600cc the car is a delight to drive.

·
Registered
17 Posts
What mileage is the car?
Hi Fruity. While you're waiting for your reply, allow me to wade in. I have 120,000 k on my 2.0 twin spark. It consumes a litre of oil per 1000km. Can't see any smoke, and various forums indicate this to be fairly normal. But if this was an old Norton I would me suspecting inlet guide seals at this rate of consumption. This is my first Alfa, with less than a year into the relationship.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
289 Posts
The TS engine uses oil, its not burning, its lost in the variator (I've been told) so THE thing that needs to be checked often is the oil in a TS.

The 1.6 is a lovely little thing:beer:

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
850Norton, yes, they do use oil. The issue is surface roughness in the bores. A deglaze and new rings sorts it. My rebuilt 2.0 TS needs no top ups between services if not completely ragged. My rebuilt JTS needs topped up twice between services.

Variators cannot consume oil. They are simply a hydraulic chamber or piston with straight cut and helical gears to provide phase adjustment.

I've had variators not last long but I attribute this to cheap oil filters with defective anti drain valves. The only oil filters I have used recently in light of this are Herth & Buss and preferably Mahle.

Forget Crossland, Fram and I'd say even Bosch. Mann and Hummel seem ok though.
That's my experience as how to extend variator life.

Oil can make a big difference as to oil consumption. If it's bad, 10W/60 works but ideally only use in warm temperatures or for sporting driving as it places greater load on the oil pump too.
PAO and Ester oils burn less than highly refined, hydrocracked mineral which is marketed as synthetic. That includes newer generation Qatar soured oil which is made from methane gas. PAO and ester oils still burn less.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, been rather busy! The car has done 74K and it uses about the same as Norton suggests. It was drinking 1 litre every 100 miles.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
That's quite a bit. Seems good oil choice has helped though.

Another plus is that you're approaching the distance where the oil consumption starts to reduce. AFAIK, it is because the bores are finally becoming polished smooth. Yes, it really does take 80-120k to bed in the bores.

If your car was twice the mileage, it would go 2000 miles between top ups!

·
Registered
17 Posts
That's quite a bit. Seems good oil choice has helped though.

Another plus is that you're approaching the distance where the oil consumption starts to reduce. AFAIK, it is because the bores are finally becoming polished smooth. Yes, it really does take 80-120k to bed in the bores.

If your car was twice the mileage, it would go 2000 miles between top ups!
Well thats nice news fruity. Must say that I like how smooth and 'revvy' is the twin spark. I fitted a much lighter crank pulley (from TTV racing) and that has been accentuated through the range. I expect she will rev even more sweetly once these rings are bedded in. Cheers. And happy Easter.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts