Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybodypeeps

I know this is a bit of a cheek but I need your advice

I am seriously thinking about buying a 147 2.0 T'spark lusso in red and I wanted to know when the cambelt's need to be replaced.

Also please can you advice me on what the cars are like to own generally ie are they reasonably reliable etc...

All advice gratefully accepted

Thankyou everybody

B

M

·
0 Posts
welcome to AO dude....Alfa say 72k with an inspection at 36k..the general concensus is to replace the Belt and Tensioners every 36k and whilst your there, the variator and water pump if needed

:)

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
mikebrown said:
welcome to AO dude....Alfa say 72k with an inspection at 36k
Welcome to AO,

Consider it Alfa Law to sod the inspection and change all the parts at 36K, or every 3-4 years, what ever is sooner.

The engines are fairly reliable, just do a regular oil change and always check the oil 2-3 times a months, more so if your doing lots of miles.

If the engine sounds like a diesal, especially on startup from cold, dont worry too much, its just the variator on its way out, wont cause any damage, but budget £300-£400 in for a full belt and variator change :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Buy one u will love it. A real bargain on a 52 plate. But beware as they age they need plenty $$$ spent on - as above and also bushes will need changing, water pump, variator, belts, wheel bearings maybe. But its an iconic car for 5-6K, buy one fully loaded and look after it its a future classic. Im never selling mine if i can help it.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
bertywooster said:
I guess it is like any car - as they get older the more they cost to keep on the road
But unlike some other types of car, it's worth spending the ££ to keep your Alfa running sweet, she'll put a smile on your face like nothing else. :D :D

Well, almost nothing else ;)

·
Banned
7,679 Posts
Hi Bertie

Always take a look at the service book, to make sure it has been at the intervals.

If you keep an eye on the oil, and replace the belt at 36K...you should have little trouble.

The MAF meter is a known problem, which effects performace...but this is due to the sensor head becoming fouled, but this can be cleaned up.

Chris

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if i were to get the timing belt replaced at 36k would I have to get the variator replaced at the same time or at the 72k schedule?

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
bertywooster said:
if i were to get the timing belt replaced at 36k would I have to get the variator replaced at the same time or at the 72k schedule?
You may as well really for the sake of £80 (I think), you dont want it to start rattleing say 20K miles until the next schedulled service

1 - 10 of 10 Posts