Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one any experience of the tiny ones that will fit in a glove box? I can hardly beleve that they will do the job given the size of a car battery. I have had my 147 battery checked and all appears well. It starts the car most of the time, but we have had a couple of long holidays recently and I have returned to find the battery doesn't have enough guts to star the car.

I asssume that the more you pay the better the gear, but prices vary enormously and as it may only be used once in a blue moon I don't want to spend a fortune on one.

Use jump leads you may say, but the car is kept in a garage and therefore not easy to access with leads.

I've done a quick search but can't find anything relevant on the forum.

G

·
I have no experience of them personally, but I guess the fact that a car battery has to have the capacity to achieve several starts without a recharge might explain how a jump-start battery could be a lot smaller?

It's probably only got one or two kicks in it?

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
These things are something like 18 Ah at about 20V, so equivalent to a 30 Ah car battery - they've got a very low internal resistance and can chuck huge currents. I've seen someone start a horse lorry (big old diesel that didn't exactly start on the button) with one of these - no problem at all.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Used it for the 1st time on a colleagues EOS* just now.

30 second job. Works a treat.

Why wouldn't you carry one?

:D:D:D

*:cheese:

·
Administrator
88,490 Posts
That's the 2nd time you've used the TLA today :tut:

1st time with all capitals though :Evil:

* :p *

·
Administrator
88,490 Posts

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
I don't think I was that EOS beastly.

It just so happens that my German colleague (who never, ever drops the top)
needed a jump, is all.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts