1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Don't! I fried my airbag ecu.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Bump started my 147 at least twice. No problems at all. And it got me home.

Reason was that the earth to the alternator was loose and the battery was not charging. I could charge at home, but not at work...

I wonder if the bump start is kinder on the electronics than a jump start?

·
0 Posts
yeah i agree with the bump start option, last time i jumped my car it knocked out the quite a bit of the interior electrics

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Should be fine slave starting a vehicle from another battery source, providing you get the slave leads connected correctly, with no 'arc welding' sparking taking place?:D Google or Wiki it? :)

·
Registered
226 Posts
The following is from the 156 handbook, a better way of disconnecting is probably with both vehicles stopped when sufficient charge is available for a normal start.

STARTING WITH AN AUXILIARY BATTERY

If the battery is flat (for battery with optical hydrometer: dark in colour with no green area in the centre), the engine can be started using another battery of the same or a little higher capacity than the flat one.

This is what you should do fig. 1:
1) Remove the protecting cover on the battery positive pole by pressing the related side wings (front side), then connect the positive terminals (plus sign + next to the terminal) of the two batteries with a special cable.

2) Connect a second cable to the negative terminal (–) of the auxiliary battery with an earth point E on the engine or the gearbox of the car to be started.

WARNING Do not directly connect the negative terminals of the two batteries: any sparks may set fire to the gas that may be released from the battery. If the auxiliary battery in installed on another car, no metal part shall accidentally come into contact with this car and the one with the flat battery.

3) Start the engine.

4) When the engine is running remove the cables in reverse order.

Never use a quick battery charger to start the engine in an emergency as this could damage the electronic systems of your vehicle, particularly the control units which manage the starting and supply functions.

The battery terminal connecting and disconnecting operations generate current that may cause problems to the car’s electronic systems. Therefore, this operation should be carried out by skilled personnel.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The following is from the 156 handbook, a better way of disconnecting is probably with both vehicles stopped when sufficient charge is available for a normal start.

STARTING WITH AN AUXILIARY BATTERY

If the battery is flat (for battery with optical hydrometer: dark in colour with no green area in the centre), the engine can be started using another battery of the same or a little higher capacity than the flat one.

This is what you should do fig. 1:
1) Remove the protecting cover on the battery positive pole by pressing the related side wings (front side), then connect the positive terminals (plus sign + next to the terminal) of the two batteries with a special cable.

2) Connect a second cable to the negative terminal (–) of the auxiliary battery with an earth point E on the engine or the gearbox of the car to be started.

WARNING Do not directly connect the negative terminals of the two batteries: any sparks may set fire to the gas that may be released from the battery. If the auxiliary battery in installed on another car, no metal part shall accidentally come into contact with this car and the one with the flat battery.

3) Start the engine.

4) When the engine is running remove the cables in reverse order.

Never use a quick battery charger to start the engine in an emergency as this could damage the electronic systems of your vehicle, particularly the control units which manage the starting and supply functions.

The battery terminal connecting and disconnecting operations generate current that may cause problems to the car’s electronic systems. Therefore, this operation should be carried out by skilled personnel.
:thumbs:

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
By saing 'bump start' i assume is the booster?
No pushing and dropping the clutch in gear ....

but this can also be bad for the catalytic converter. If the car doesn't start first time, unburnt fuel can get into the exhaust. When the engine does fire, that unburnt fuel can also ignite and burns in the exhaust and cat ...

I'm pretty sure it says not to do this in the handbook!

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No pushing and dropping the clutch in gear ....

but this can also be bad for the catalytic converter. If the car doesn't start first time, unburnt fuel can get into the exhaust. When the engine does fire, that unburnt fuel can also ignite and burns in the exhaust and cat ...

I'm pretty sure it says not to do this in the handbook!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts