Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has been stood for about a week because of all this snow, went to try and start it today and it appears my battery is flat...I have borrowed some jump leads off a mate but I am not the best when it comes to anything like this so any advice wuld be appreciated! The 156 battery looks a bit more complicated than I was expecting, just wondering where I connect the leads! I was just going to take the battery out and charge it but it looks way too complex for me to attempt...

·
Registered
30,243 Posts
Taking it out and charging it is the best option.

Removing it isn't as complicated as it may first appear.

·
Registered
656 Posts
It just look hard

10mm socket for positive and neg terminals then 13mm socket to relaese the battery strap. The big fuse layout you see on the positive side comes off complete

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've tried googling for a diagram or help on how to remove the battery but can't find anything as yet...that would be my preferred option as the car is still buried in snow so will be quite difficult to get anything close enough to jump it!

·
Registered
656 Posts
I've tried googling for a diagram or help on how to remove the battery but can't find anything as yet...that would be my preferred option as the car is still buried in snow so will be quite difficult to get anything close enough to jump it!
You don't need a diagram for it mate and i don't think there will be one to be honest

Loosen the 10mm nuts that are on the battery terminals the one that tightens the clamps

Then follow the battery strap that is bolted (13mm) on the right "loosen that"

Move cables from top of battery and lift out battery

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
You don't need a diagram for it mate and i don't think there will be one to be honest

Loosen the 10mm nuts that are on the battery terminals the one that tightens the clamps

Then follow the battery strap that is bolted (13mm) on the right "loosen that"

Move cables from top of battery and lift out battery
Neutral first to avoid shorting the battery when doing the Positive...

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Always best to charge it. You can do it on the vehicle if you remove the negative lead (to prevent a circuit in the car - which will blow the alternator).
Jump starting has blown my Airbag ECU twice!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Always best to charge it. You can do it on the vehicle if you remove the negative lead (to prevent a circuit in the car - which will blow the alternator).
Jump starting has blown my Airbag ECU twice!
Thanks for the tip Chris, couldn't get the battery out for the life of me so set it off charging in the car. Managed to get the car started but as I am still snowed in couldn't take it out for a run so I am back to square one! At least I know it works and can try to get it going when this bloody snow goes away!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Had the same trouble last week, new calcium battery from Halfords £100 and a secondhand alternator fitted at John Maxwells in Dunmurry got it sorted £280. The battery has a cover with two sliding catches over the positive terminal containing fuses, open this and you can see two cross head screws remove these fom the red nylon thing- you can then remove the teminal from the post with a 10 mm ratchet spanner through the top gap or a socket from below.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My car appears to have fixed itself...dead as a doornail on Wednesday night, not even turning over, central locking not working off the key etc. Then just tried it last night and it fired up straight away! Took it for a quick run and now it seems fine...what's that all about??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts