Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all
have a 8v 155 1994-5 vintage every so often and usually on long drives she gets very juddery and the engine loses power. Bit disconserting at the time but it usually goes away after a while. When at its worst I just pull over switch off and restart and all is fine.
When taken in for service nothing is ever found.
Its been suggested poor petrol but make sure only to use shell and avoid supermarket pumps like the plague.
Any ideas?
Many thanks

Andrew

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Coil packs maybe? if the problems persisted after a restart I'd go for spark plugs and high tension leads...

Does the juddering go away if you give full throttle or no throttle?

Cheers,
Cuore_Sportivo_155

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the guidance.
Gets decidedly worse if I try to floor the accelerator.
Tend to foot off then re-apply sometimes then goes away but more often than not re-appears short while later.

·
Registered
43 Posts
hey i think i have the same problem mate i have a 155 silverstone it idles brilliant on choke and drives great untill you get about 100 yards then it starts.
when i accelerate it pulls then nearly spits me through the windscreen then pulls again and when watching the rev counter its like the engine turns offand straight back on again i havent a clue whats goin on im trying to find out myself is yours doin the same thing?

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
Mine did this just before the TDC sensor failed.. but it's not really a service part and a bit dear to change on the off-chance.

If the plugs and leads are good, check that the relays for the fuel pump and injection system are all okay and there are no leaks on the intake side before starting to rip bits out.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
835 Posts
does this have any relation to the amount of fuel in the tank? if it happens with 1/4 tank or less there's a reasonable chance it could be the pipe that runs from the fuel pump to the top of the tank is letting fuel escape, very cheap to fix (10 inches of fuel pipe) but a bit of a pain...

second thought would be it drawing air, if it is this check all the hoses etc on the inlet side but move them about to see if any gaps open up, especially check the rubbers which are between the inlet manifold and the plenum chamber

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the advice and thoughts.
Well the good news is it hasnt done anything naughty for a while without me doing anything.
Worrying bit is the impending long haul upto Dundee in a couple of weeks.
Perhaps just talking about it has helped?:confused:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts