Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have had this problem for a while and finally got it done last weekend. Before i went to my mechanic, i had a peek in the technical section and printed out the article on the wiper arms (by yorke, i think). Armed with that article, off i went to the garage. The mechanic had it dismantled and of course, you could see the motor juddering. Conveniently, the mechanic said "aargh, your motor is busted, need for a replacement (and 70 GBP)". I shoved the article to him and asked him to give it a try.
After some wierd looks, he gave it a try. Opened up the motor and cleaned up the spilled-over grease and applied some fresh grease. And of course, voila, it worked. Gave him 5GBP and off i went happily. Before that, he said " Don't tell the world about it, you're going to ruin my business". The nerve of that guy. Of course, i would tell the world about it.!!!
Anyway, thanks to the forum (and Yorke) for telling the world about it!!! :lol:

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
That reminds me of the next item on my to do list. Think I'll try it myself Henry's article makes it seem quite straightforward.

Phil

·
Administrator
46,089 Posts
Where is this legendary article?
I need to do this on my 145, and with my general cack-handedness, wouldn't mind an idiot guide.

M

·
0 Posts
bazza said:
and with my general cack-handedness
I can see how this would be tricky using paws. Do you have opposable thumbs?

That is a fantastic article by Henry, and he's included special tips for people like me like' Be careful not to scratch the paint' and 'remember where the rest point is'.
Thank you Mr Yorke! :)

·
Administrator
46,089 Posts
I do have opposable thumbs. But they're made out of plasticine, and tied on with string. You can appreciate my problem I'm sure.

M

·
0 Posts
Cancelled - Soz.

Actually, i can use this dead space to tell a quick story..
I gave my friend and his two kids a lift a coupla weeks ago, they all know my car antics and like Alfas, and sometimes more often than not when i'm giving them a lift, at some point a little voice eminates from the back seat asking me to 'go fast'. Which always makes me smile.
On this occassion there was light drizzle, my intermittants were on. We'd barely gone 20 metres when i heard a little whisper, obviously directed away from me and with quite a lot of concern in the voice.... 'Dad, his windscreen wipers aren't working properly'.
:lol:

·
Administrator
46,089 Posts
Why cancelled? Were you being too jovial for the tech room.
Having looked at those destructions, it's a fair bit more complicated than I thought!
I'm going to have to do it soon though, I've got a really bad judder now.
I just know I'm going to screw something up though :rolleyes:
I might just try lubricating the linkages for now, that looked easy enough.

B

·
0 Posts
bazza said:
Why cancelled? Were you being too jovial for the tech room.
Having looked at those destructions, it's a fair bit more complicated than I thought!
I'm going to have to do it soon though, I've got a really bad judder now.
I just know I'm going to screw something up though :rolleyes:
I might just try lubricating the linkages for now, that looked easy enough.
:) :rolleyes: :)
:cheese: :cheese:

·
Administrator
46,089 Posts
Do you ever get that nagging feeling you're being laughed at? :confused:

R

·
0 Posts
Done this twice now. It really isn't that difficult. You'll need a 10mm and a 13mm socket (for linkages and arms), and a small Torx bit for the scuttle (T15 or T20, cannot remember), and about an hour.

Tip... (assuming UK car) Remove both side trims as well as the washer panel (2 torx per side). Washer panel (7 torx), this is teathered by the washer pipe, so it lays face down on the inlet manifold once out. Mechanism is held in with 2 bolts and 2 nuts (all M6, 10mm socket).

... Once the linkage is out (I think it was lift at the front to clear motor mounts first). REMEMBER how it came out, as I found it tricky to get it back again.

... I could disconnect the power wire as soon as the mechanism was out. Henry couldn't on his car. I guess I have a different casing. The plastic guard on mine has a small flap by the connectors allowing the cables to be removed and the work to continue on the bench. Made life so much easier.

... Motor has 3 M6 bolts holding it on, you can get a socket onto 2 of them, the other one needs a spanner. Motor drive is on splines, I had to "tap" the shaft with a hammer to release it. Watch for the plastic bush that is below the splines and falls off when you remove the shroud. Motor unclips easily, clean it.

Hopefully you haven't run out of daylight by now. Sitting in the dark with bits of wiper mechanism strewn everywhere.

... When refitting, the motor park position for mine had the linkage from the motor to the bar to the wiper mech in a straight line. Easier if you see it.
http://www.alfa155.com/155/Technical/Wipers/pages/155 Wipers 011.htm shows this linkage and bar, on mine it was dead straight when parked.

...When reassembled, run the wipers a few times without the arms attached to ensure that the motor is back at the parked position. Watch the splines to make sure they are going the right way.

... Make sure the arms are firmly reattached, and seated correctly. If not, they may slip and hit the scuttle panel/bonnet. (ask me how I know!)

Hardest part is getting the mechanism back into the car.

Robert.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Tip: for 145/146's...

The scuttle panel is held on with a number of push-fit retainers. These are a pain in the artz to remove. Use fingers to lever them off, screw-drivers damage stuff.
I found that a small amount of copper grease does a good job as the copper lubricates the connections inside the works... when I say 'small amount', I mean a small amount.
You could also try using graphite...

·
Registered
715 Posts
I'm glad it was useful, though mine are juddering again now :'(

You are right that it is a bugger to get the mechanism back in though!! And the amount of crap they you find under there is incredible. It took me a while as I have to clean everything that is dirty when I do little jobs on the car!!!

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Jasus.... battle of the wiper-fixer-worksheets!
I was all set to do my own one, but after seeing the competition, I don't know now!

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
It's about time I did this mend, I've read the destructions but i'm still a little unsure..... what makes them judder?? poor connection because of the displaced grease and the contacts being moved??

How long is this like to fix the problem for?

:)

M

·
0 Posts
Grease getting inbetween the contacts and the body causing a poor connection.
Once you take the cap off the motor you'll see exactly what it's all about.

I found one step too many on Henry's worksheet too, although that was the one i followed. Saved me time though as i didn't have to remove the motor from the housing, the cowling just pulled open to allow me access to the connector. As displayed on Wrinx's worksheet.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts