Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, got to work this morning and when i parked up and turned the engine off, it juddered. I then let it idle and went through the rev range and it started to judder at about 3000 revs. Ive read a few posts and one specifically about DMFs, however when i push the clutch in and turn off it still judders. Ive inspected the engine mounts and whilst im not certain they look ok. Anyone have any suggestions i may have overlooked, before i part with my hard earnt cash? Thanks

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Ah, I had a judder, more like a shake on switch off. It was cured when I replaced all the small vacuum tubing from the turbo actuator and the solenoid. The butterfly valve in the inlet manifold wasn't closing properly causing the problem, it didn't help having an inlet full of gunge.

The tubes can split causing a lack of power low down, sometimes the split can be very small and almost invisible. I replaced all mine with silicone tubing, you need 5mm and 3mm to do the job right.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see, it seems such an insignificant part too! ill give it a try! Did you get them off ebay? And are you saying that you cleaned the EGR valve? i was thinking of following that guide on here about cleaning before i took it to the garage as i seem to have lost loads of power since it started to shake on turn off, its very flat to drive. Thanks again for the help ill update either way :thumbs:

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Yes I did clean the EGR, the guide is very informative and the task is easy - don't drop the gaskets down the back of the engine! You may also check the MAP sensor, it is fixed to the inlet manifold using a single torque screw, it's located just along from the EGR.

I got the tubing from a local supplier, but those off eBay are just as good. They need to be a tight fit, I made the mistake of using 5mm on the smaller connectors when it should have been 3mm. Mind your hands when fitting, if you slip it can hurt!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the silicone tubing and replaced this morning (Getting the old one off the vacuum reservoir was a right game!!), unfortunately cant say its worked for me :( so im going to clean the EGR valve nxt weekend and see if this resolves the issue. Thought id mention that i have FES with the VAG lead, is there anything i can infer from just looking at the parameters as there are no errors listed.......

·
Registered
30,070 Posts
Hi david, is that on the throttle body? Im not sure what to look for..
There isn't a throttle-body on a Diesel!
What you are looking at is probably the shut-off valve.
(obviously it is difficult for us to know exactly what you are looking at, but that is highly likely...)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There isn't a throttle-body on a Diesel!
What you are looking at is probably the shut-off valve.
(obviously it is difficult for us to know exactly what you are looking at, but that is highly likely...)
Is this the one i should be looking at? this is the one where the top turbo hose connects to... Also would this cause a bit of a flutter in the engine at about 4000 revs as well as the shake on turn off?

butterfly.jpg

Also got to say there is a marked improvement after fitting those vacuum hoses even though they havent cured my original problem, car just feels slow on take up but does gain power......

·
Registered
635 Posts
I'd use carb cleaner and a brush. I have seen a thread where a guy used oven cleaner to clean his inlet manifold. It looked like new. I've never used it though but somebody will come along who has shortly!;)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oven cleaner? :lol: It looks like it needs it too! Ive got some STP in the shed, im gonna have a very busy weekend, Was gonna do it tonite but the sun went hiding!!

1 - 20 of 73 Posts