Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
As from time to time, lets say with intervals of about 500 km i have a misfire yesterday i cleaned the sparkplugs. In view of the fact my girlfriend always runs short distance they are not so dirty as i expected it .
However the type of sparkplug is Beru 14 FR7DQUP7 platin with 4 bridges and a verry fine center tip/electrode. Now the center electrode is mayby 0.1 mm above the insulator.
As i dont know how long they are in the car and i never have seen this type new i wonder if this is normal?

Attachments

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
OEM plugs were NGK PFR6B (with NGK BKR6EKPA as an alternative).

Gap is preset and not adjustable.
So your's have been changed at least once, just not for the correct ones!

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
I've just checked the Beru website and they don't list your sparkplugs for the 2.0JTS either.....

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
That is the correct BERU Platinum equivalent of the NGK spark plug.

Some people argue that you should only use NGK plugs in these engines but I wouldn't change straight away.

Best thing to do is swap the plug to another cylinder. If the misfire / fouling follows the plug then the plug is probably defective. If it does not follow the plug then you have another problem with that cylinder such as injector or coil pack.

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
That is the correct BERU Platinum equivalent of the NGK spark plug.
Strange. When I checked the Beru online catalogue both for the car and for NGK equivalents the plugs it listed were not the ones he has...

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It seems that is the correct type.
The misfires occure at random sometimes cyl 1 other times 2,3 or 4 there is really no patern.
On the other hand every time i clean them there are non for about 500 km................typical JTS?
Butt my question is, the tip is only 0.1 mm above the insulator is this normal?

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
It seems that is the correct type.
Bit more research...
Beru 14-FR7DQUP7 is their equivalent to NGK BKR6EQUP, which is not the correct plug for a 2.0JTS.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
David C: you are probably correct and you usually are. I was lazy and checked parts suppliers site and a lot are listing this plug for these cars!

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
David C: you are probably correct and you usually are. I was lazy and checked parts suppliers site and a lot are listing this plug for these cars!
It is mighty confusing.
Alfa spec NGK PFR6B

As equivalents to the PFR6B, Beru list Z188 (14 F-7 DPUR02) and Z314 (14 FR-6 DPUW2)

But if you check Beru's online webcat listing for the Spider 2.0JTS it lists Z246 (14 FGH-8 DTURW)

However if you check Beru's PDF cataloque for the Spider 2.0JTS it lists Z237 (14 FR-7 DQUP7)
For the GT 2.0JTS the PDF lists Z237 (14 FR-7 DQUP7), Z193 (14 FR-7 DU2), UXT1 and UXT3.

So a lot of conflicting information there... :read:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As you say........confusing, i also cheqed differend site for prices ..............24 to 45 € for 1:irked:

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
As you say........confusing, i also cheqed differend site for prices ..............24 to 45 € for 1:irked:
For which plug?

NGK PFR6B (their 3500 p/n) are coming up around £7.80 each (9.66€) which is £31.20 for a set (38.66€)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@ David.......... i looked for the Berus, anyway can you give me the link please.
@alfizta, i ame not so shure about that, for typical parts yes
When you see how they introduced the JTS engine i have my doubts, they simply did not test it long enough, three years after the introducing they where able to do some modification for the oil consumtion. That has nothing to do with the spark plugs butt thous that means that they are optimal..............who knows!
For parts like spark plugs every producer like Bosch, Champion, NGK, Beru etc are capable and have the technology to fabric them.
I personaly had bad experience with NGK cc a lamda probe on a 2.0 TS it last only 1 and 1/2 year or 40.000 km ( no warranty ) on the otherhand with the Beru sparkplugs in a Ford probe V6 i had never any problem, they last for 100.000 km
I agree with you that one schould stick to OEM when you see how manny differend types Beru proposes for only one type of engine as on the 156, gt, gtv, spider 916 all JTS are the same.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
@ David.......... i looked for the Berus, anyway can you give me the link please.
@alfizta, i ame not so shure about that, for typical parts yes
When you see how they introduced the JTS engine i have my doubts, they simply did not test it long enough, three years after the introducing they where able to do some modification for the oil consumtion. That has nothing to do with the spark plugs butt thous that means that they are optimal..............who knows!
For parts like spark plugs every producer like Bosch, Champion, NGK, Beru etc are capable and have the technology to fabric them.
I personaly had bad experience with NGK cc a lamda probe on a 2.0 TS it last only 1 and 1/2 year or 40.000 km ( no warranty ) on the otherhand with the Beru sparkplugs in a Ford probe V6 i had never any problem, they last for 100.000 km
I agree with you that one schould stick to OEM when you see how manny differend types Beru proposes for only one type of engine as on the 156, gt, gtv, spider 916 all JTS are the same.
just a thought... I also make my options when I have too ;) but on this, when the time comes, I will probably not risk and stay with ngk, but bought on ebay or other car parts website, of course ;)

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
It was from Eurocarparts in the UK.
Unfortunately their website makes it a pain to look up specific parts and they don't list PFR6B for the 2.0JTS either :rolleyes:, but they do come up for a V6.

But surely you can find NGK PFR6B (NGK p/n 3500) locally in Belgium...?

Opie in the UK have a set for £27.50
NGK PFR6B (3500) - Laser Platinum Spark Plug 4 pack

1 - 17 of 17 Posts