Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this morning i have noticed a strange knocking noise coming from inside of the engine. This noise has increasing while i was trying to figure out from where it was coming. The video shows the current noise.

as you can see in the video after sometime it stops so it is currently happening at random but i guess it will get worst.

https://youtu.be/MACq-Vp1vsk

my real problem is that i dont have a clue from where to start so any suggestions are welcomed.

so far i have checked engine oil. still enough full, and it has the proper selenia racing in it.
there are no things rattling with the engine. just checked even exhaust and shields.
I have opened the top cover cap and i could see oil splashing so im guessing oil is pumping up.

Later on today i was going to open the rocker cover to check for any possible traces to what could be the cause and will start to eliminate plugs with the hope to revel which of the the 4 cylinders is making the noise.

Att admins- I have already posted this on a separate page but noticed that is not viewed freq by members so decided to move it here.

Thanks

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi

Its only a guess as I've never worked on the petrol engine, but are the tappets oil filled? and have drained down overtime then re filling once the engine has started, they go quiet when the are full again.

Regards

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tbh i have never heared a tappet do such a noise, but so far i am suspecting the noise is coming from the top part, as the knocks sound really fast. Really cant say at this stage, perhaps later as i open the rocker cover i will start to find hints.

plan is;
determin cylinder doing the noise (at least try).
check for correct oil flow.
determin if its top or bottom issue (no idea how).
fix it (hopefully)

I have worked on tons of italian petrol engines but i was never the expert in engine knocks.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Sounds like tappets as it appeared to stop towards the end of the video. Could try 1 of the many snake oils out their that claim to cure this.

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
Is the noise only present right after you have started the engine and then goes away?
Or do the noise appear randomly when the engine is running?

If it is only just after you have started the engine it could be the cam variator that is faulty

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had a knocking which I thought was the variator which I changed, but no ,the auxiliary tensioner was slipping which threw the balancer belt off by 6 or so teeth resulting in knocking noise .

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
usually when i start. but it appears again randomly after. by the sound of it looks like variator. have checked some other videos on the internet and sound is the same. Today i am going to see if i can find and buy locally the timing tools needed so that hopefully tomorrow il have another look at it. I have the Twinspark cam clock pieces but i believe they will not fit the jts.

Anyone knows how to confirm if the variator is defective?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts