Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have been a forum member for many years and read the comments with great interest. I have thought that the balance needs to be restored on the JTS engine debate. First a bit of recent history, some years ago I bought one of the last 155's 2litre TS, new, what a wonderful car, I would probably still have it for for the fact that I wrote it off. I did try to buy it back, but the insurance company refused. It was followed by a 156 V6 (Autodelta), a wonderful car that I loved but retirement and rising rule costs meant it had to go. I bought a '54 facelift JTS. Now to be honest my initial feeling when driving it home (ebay buy) was one of disappointment, but I loved the look of the front. Also on the way home the EML come on, following a misfire, you can imagine my dismay, however, I decided that the problem was caused by the engine being steam cleaned and it was damp. I did the usual checks on connections all seemed OK.
The car settled down but every now and then the EML would come on and there was a slight misfire, also the tick over was random and there was a hesitation at low revs. I replaced the MAF, no difference, thermostat, because I don't believe they last forever and then I bought a set of used coils as one of mine was dodgy, mis-fire was now cured, but the tick over was still not great.
A tin of BG44 was purchased and I am convinced that it made a difference, they do say that it takes a while for it to work so it is sometimes hard to recognise the improvement. The other thing that I did was to stop using super market fuel and use a proprietary brand. The car covers about 4-5k miles a year and many of those are on the continent, but again I try to use "garage" fuel. Recently the car has been running better, livelier, I thought. I noticed that it was also noisier but no sign of a blow tho'. However the flex at the front was leaking slightly and I decided that the back box although looking very rough was sound but the internal baffles were shot, hence the slightly nicer sound. I bought a supersprint back box and a new flex, strangely the tick over and hesitation was again slightly better but the sound was disappointing. Although the car has a full service history and the belts were not really due I decided it was time to do the belts and variator, which was a little noisy. I also purchased a set of C&B middle road cams. I fitted this lot last weekend and I am more than happy with the result, the engine seems more responsive and smoother, the power comes in with a little more determination and it is quieter, probably due to the Variator. The car now feels great, I am far happier with it, my impending trip to the dark continent will be the final test. What I do believe is the use of "good" fuel is very important, the tick over is now rock solid.
Interestingly, the car still pulls from very low revs, i.e. just above tick over.
There is hope for the JTS, was looking for a diesel GT but now I think my next buy will be a GT JTS.
Sorry to drawl on but I hope it helps to redress the balance very slightly.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Diesel in an Alfa, seems wrong I know.
I bought my diesel because VED is lowest and the MPG is highest. Purely for economy then.
I got my GT cheap because it is a CAT D, probably the same I'd have paid for a JTS.

The guys at Mangos seemed to suggest the JTD was the best 'all rounder'. I'm not dissapointed but for the idle racket :lol:
Already noticing the difference in fuel costs switching over to this Audi. Mind you apart from going upto see SteveW over the weekend I never went anywhere really or so I thought. I did 150 miles doing not really much :D

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Did you do the belt and cams yourself? How much were the cams?

Touch wood, I've not had any problems with my JTS for two years. Nearing 100k now.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Touch wood, I've not had any problems with my JTS for two years. Nearing 100k now.
Yes I did them myself, I got lucky with the cams, I got them for £200.00 with a new variator.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Diesel in an Alfa, seems wrong I know.
I bought my diesel because VED is lowest and the MPG is highest. Purely for economy then.
I got my GT cheap because it is a CAT D, probably the same I'd have paid for a JTS.

The guys at Mangos seemed to suggest the JTD was the best 'all rounder'. I'm not dissapointed but for the idle racket :lol:
Already noticing the difference in fuel costs switching over to this Audi. Mind you apart from going upto see SteveW over the weekend I never went anywhere really or so I thought. I did 150 miles doing not really much :D
Malc. how is Steve, I have been off the radar for a while and lost touch. I thought that you bought the GT because of your longish journey to work?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I really believe that it is a good motor much maligned, the direct injection is a problem and this is not a problem just on Alfas, and lets not forget, they are Bosch for our German car lovers. I have a set of overhauled injectors to go in but as yet not build up the courage to fit them. If the car carries on the way it is, I probably will not bother.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I really believe that it is a good motor much maligned, the direct injection is a problem and this is not a problem just on Alfas, and lets not forget, they are Bosch for our German car lovers. I have a set of overhauled injectors to go in but as yet not build up the courage to fit them. If the car carries on the way it is, I probably will not bother.
Experience on here suggests they go wrong every 50-70k miles. That can possibly be staved off for a while with regular injector cleaner, but hardly anyone does it, and although I do, by the time it comes around for me again the car will be on about 140k!

I'm always interested in JTS mods though, since there aren't very many. What difference do you think the cams have made to your car? How did you set them up, i.e. I assume the ordinary camlock tool doesn't fit?

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Malc. how is Steve, I have been off the radar for a while and lost touch. I thought that you bought the GT because of your longish journey to work?
Steve is OK yes, TBH not seen him for over six months. I used to go up to Bacup regularly but since buying the house I really have not had the time.

Oddly my journey is now a 34 mile return trip but when I bought the GT it was only 24 miles. I still saw a saving on fuel as you would expect. Because I got the GT cheap (for a diesel) from an economy perspective it has been very good.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have just bought my neighbour and best mate's 05 156 JTS from him and was a bit dubious about the engine too. He had the car for a year and in that time he fitted a new radiator and fuel pump but otherwise the thing has not missed a beat. Now I have it I am repairing the aircon but otherwise I am hoping to do little or nothing to it. It had belts at 70k but I have no idea if the injectors have ever been looked at - it now has 86k on the clock.
Having owned numerous Alfas before and coming from a 145 QV I found the JTS noise a bit disappointing but it's not that bad. The low end torque is massive in comparison to the t spark and the JTS seems to be returning 32-35mpg for me, while the t-spark struggled to hit 30 (I know it was a different car but I think the comparison is valid).
I hate diesel with a passion....horrible smelly tractor fuel.....the only reason to ever own a diesel is to save money and having owned several diesels (and drive them at work) I've decided life is too short so I will never own another!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Experience on here suggests they go wrong every 50-70k miles. That can possibly be staved off for a while with regular injector cleaner, but hardly anyone does it, and although I do, by the time it comes around for me again the car will be on about 140k!

I'm always interested in JTS mods though, since there aren't very many. What difference do you think the cams have made to your car? How did you set them up, i.e. I assume the ordinary camlock tool doesn't fit?
You are correct in thinking that mods are thin on the ground, I came by the cams by chance and bought them on a whim. I have only done a few miles of local running so it is difficult to be sure of any real improvements, however the few miles I have done give me hope for good things, I will post up when I do. I am thinking about using a TS exhaust manifold without the cats and pulling a sport cat on in the "original position" I have an old TS that I have broken. This will mean a bit of messing about with the sensors but information on here suggests it can be done.
I am not sure if the TS head will go on the JTS, if yes I may well take my old one off and have a go at polishing and porting, I need to do a bit of research to see if there is any benefit.
The other thing I am seriously thinking about is going to see Gus about a remap, generally speaking I do not think they are worth bothering about but with the cams and maybe manifold mods it may make a difference. I am not after a racing car just a little more drivability. Thinking about it, it does feel a bit sharper now, more responsive, maybe wishful thinking.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
The other thing I am seriously thinking about is going to see Gus about a remap, generally speaking I do not think they are worth bothering about but with the cams and maybe manifold mods it may make a difference. I am not after a racing car just a little more drivability. Thinking about it, it does feel a bit sharper now, more responsive, maybe wishful thinking.
The remap's something I mean to do, either with Gus or AHM, but it's a fair bit of money (in line with all their other remaps, if you're wondering). It won't give you any more power but might make it a bit more driveable. For me I'm hoping it'll straighten out the wonky torque curve.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have just bought my neighbour and best mate's 05 156 JTS from him and was a bit dubious about the engine too. He had the car for a year and in that time he fitted a new radiator and fuel pump but otherwise the thing has not missed a beat. Now I have it I am repairing the aircon but otherwise I am hoping to do little or nothing to it. It had belts at 70k but I have no idea if the injectors have ever been looked at - it now has 86k on the clock.
Having owned numerous Alfas before and coming from a 145 QV I found the JTS noise a bit disappointing but it's not that bad. The low end torque is massive in comparison to the t spark and the JTS seems to be returning 32-35mpg for me, while the t-spark struggled to hit 30 (I know it was a different car but I think the comparison is valid).
I hate diesel with a passion....horrible smelly tractor fuel.....the only reason to ever own a diesel is to save money and having owned several diesels (and drive them at work) I've decided life is too short so I will never own another!
I absolutely agree with your comments re: sound torque mpg, As trashbat says a good injector cleaner is a good idea, I also believe that good fuel is a must. Diesel, well yes I agree but cost is figuring more and more, although I am thinking about going down the LPG route.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Lol @ the diesel bashing - id like to see any of your JTS/TS , even 2.5 V6 cars keep up with mine during in gear accelaration !

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Lol @ the diesel bashing - id like to see any of your JTS/TS , even 2.5 V6 cars keep up with mine during in gear accelaration !
On the GT the 2.4 was never an option (147 also I think). However, I witnessed it in a Brera. Unlike my 4 pot oil burner, when given the beans not only did the 2.4 go like nothing else, it actually sounds rather good too.

I don't think anyone is really diesel bashing, just commending the JTS ;)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Nothing to 'lol' about - I don't like diesel......I've owned 58 cars now and 5 or 6 have been diesel and my wife's family runabout is diesel.....it's just nothing I choose to own anymore. I've owned petrol cars that would chew up and spit out your diesel Alfa in any conditions, but I no longer own any of them because life's not all about speed and acceleration. My problem with diesel is the noise, the lack of revs, the extra weight, the smell, the soot and smoke and the fact I just don't think diesel is right for a performance car. My own personal choice....you stick to your diesel and enjoy it if that's what you want.

On the JTS subject again....I've just bought some BG44 cleaner :)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Nothing to 'lol' about - I don't like diesel......I've owned 58 cars now and 5 or 6 have been diesel and my wife's family runabout is diesel.....it's just nothing I choose to own anymore. I've owned petrol cars that would chew up and spit out your diesel Alfa in any conditions, but I no longer own any of them because life's not all about speed and acceleration. My problem with diesel is the noise, the lack of revs, the extra weight, the smell, the soot and smoke and the fact I just don't think diesel is right for a performance car. My own personal choice....you stick to your diesel and enjoy it if that's what you want.

On the JTS subject again....I've just bought some BG44 cleaner :)
No, life is about 50 mpg, and super fast acceleration, 1,500 rpm crusing when relaxing, no noise in cabin under general driving, nice noise on acceleration etc etc etc

And as Clarkson puts it - 7 million torques!

Case closed :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
No, life is about 50 mpg, and super fast acceleration, 1,500 rpm crusing when relaxing, no noise in cabin under general driving, nice noise on acceleration etc etc etc

:rolleyes:

As I said before.....you enjoy your diesel that's fine. It's not for me and I have experienced many many diesels I just don't want one.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts

Meh. To make the Diesel even worth having you need an EGR blank, DPF removal and then if you have the larger 2.4 waiting for the DMF to screw up once you unleash its full potential. Then you have the problems with clutch and driveshafts. All to save 10mpg.

What you save at the pump you spend out in other means making what should have been the diesel engine it should have been.

Can argue about it all day really but really its a preference and opinion.

Least its an Alfa though ;-)

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Q: How do you know if someone owns a diesel?

A: They tell you about it, loudly.

Q: How can you be sure if someone owns a diesel?

A: They argue with you about it, loudly.

Q: How can you be absolutely certain if someone owns a diesel?

A: CLATTER CLATTER CLATTER BELCH BELCH CLATTER CLATTER

1 - 20 of 67 Posts