Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am changing the parking lights as I removed my front bumper, during under the car, I had spot oil leaks near the crank cover, looks like a bad sign? Does this means I have to stop driving the car and pull engine out for investigating the crankshaft bearings? Any suggestions?
I am pretty sure last time I went under the car is dry there..

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
That sounds like front or rear crank seal (you don't state if it is driver side or gearbox end of engine) but you don't need to stop driving unless it is leaking like mad. Seals do not catastrophically fail but slowly worsen with time.

I don't know about the TS Alfa but most engines the front seal can be done with the engine in the car but it is quite a big job meaning new cambelts etc. Again I don't know the TS in this level of detail but if it is the rear seal (gearbox end) then that is normally gearbox out and clutch removed to get access.

EDITED: My reply was from my phone and access to photo is blocked.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, this is the front end and not the gearbox side, is having very little at the moment, not even dripping on the floor yet, I agree with washing it out first and see what happen next..
If the leaks is normal for just 60000km, then I will keep revving the engine and have fun with her..

·
Registered
780 Posts
Just remember to check the oil level every time you fill up with fuel and make sure to keep it well above minimum and you should be OK provided you dont start losing more than 1L per 1500km (Afaik it is 1L between Max and Min on dipstick)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just remember to check the oil level every time you fill up with fuel and make sure to keep it well above minimum and you should be OK provided you dont start losing more than 1L per 1500km (Afaik it is 1L between Max and Min on dipstick)
Got this and thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts