Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so recently the 147 JTD Ti has not been happy, not happy at all – this has made me not very happy, not very happy at all :(
Symptoms have included partial loss of power, occasional smoke smoke a WW2 destroyer would be proud of, a big dip in MPG and then a sudden and total loss of power :cry: No matter which gear or how much I pressed the loud pedal, sod all happened. Symptoms before that had been a distinct hesitancy and the occasional ‘flutter’. Previously I have stripped off the EGR (as per the excellent guide on the forum) and cleaned it up although it wasn’t too heavily sooted up and worked well.

No error messages, the intercooler pipes are fine, the intercooler is fine. Actuating arm on turbo is fine.... but I will be replacing the vacuum hosing because I have the pipework already.
Can you tell what it is yet? That’s right…… it’s the damn inlet manifold :mad::rant::rolleyes:

I had a quick look at it the other day and it was black with crap. A quick nudge around in the crap revealed the connecting arm for the swirl flaps wasn’t actually connected to anything at all – probably not been connected for some time either :rant: I was immediately vexed. I cleaned the EGR again for the hell of it (pretty much clean to be honest and working fine).
My mood didn’t improve when it became clear that the flaps on 1, 2 and 4 were all ‘lying’ at different angles as the pins that should go into the connecting rod were all to foghorn leghorn.
Also they seemed a smidgen stiff in place… almost as if they were somehow seized. Much cleaning later the heads, and hopefully the flaps, now move more easily (aren’t seized) but it’s clear all is not well with the swirl flaps. The linkage/connecting arm is also well and truly knackered. At least the control flap on cylinder 3 seems to activate OK.

So other than getting shot of the car PDQ my only option is to take off the manifold and either buy a brand new one and make it all good as standard or find a second hand manifold, remove the swirl flaps, blank off the gaps and bolt it all back together again but this time fit EGR ‘restriction’ gaskets when bolting the EGR back on. The second option has some appeal and to honest I think it makes the most sense. Yes, I will remember to leave the arm actuator/sensor stuff all connected as I know I’ll get a multitude of error messages without it.

So a word of warning folks – check those flaps!

Any hints and suggestions on part sourcing? I’m thinking there’ll be a Vauxhall part that will be a bit cheaper if I buy new :rolleyes: I'm not adverse to second-hand bits!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Personally, I see trying to lock the flaps in position (harder than it sounds I suspect) as a short term fix and not a solution to a long term problem.

I believe there's already been a case of a JTD swirl flap being ingested by an engine and that's not good, not something I want to happen with my car. I think it makes sense to 'make good' rather than hope for the best with a temporary fix. I'm always going to worry about the state of the swirl flaps........

That said I can be swayed by a reasoned arguement!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A run up the A9 this afternoon for a brace of new tyres (that's another story) reveals all is still not right.
More than the occasional hiccup so will hopefully get vacuum hoses done this w/end.

Still interested to see what other think..... new manifold or bodge:confused:

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
New vacuum pipes fitted this morning - not much fun under a car in the rain - time will tell if it's been a help but a short drive and it seems a wee bit better. Has to be an improvement as yesterday it felt like it had 75bhp and not 150 on the way back from visiting my folks.
Plenty power to start off then a hiccup then naff all 'ooomph'. It has been doing my head in for a couple of weeks now. Today's operation showed the vacuum pipe to the turbo was in poor shape so maybe this has been part of the problem.
A longer run into Inverness via the scenic route is on the cards I think. I'm not all that hopeful to be honest.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was the EGR

Ok, so the car continued to do my head in (intermittent power, coughing, spluttering etc etc) and in an effort to get the situation resolved it went off to the dealers on Wednesday - they were busy (very busy it seemed) but said they'd fit it in when they could.
They rang me at the end of the day yesterday to say the EGR is at vault, apparently it's 'slightly' faulty and whilst they acknowledged the EGR was very clean and the 'pin' moves smoothly it seems that there is no way I could have known there was in intermittent failure on the actuator solenoid. So despite my best efforts and the excellent guide on this site the bleeding EGR, it seems, is a fickle thing.
I'll get the car back today and see what it's like over the weekend, might be a nice weekend for a run down to Oban.
If all is fixed I will be...errrr..... relieved. Actually, my wallet will be relieved of much of it's content but it will be nice to have the car back and working. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
A £2 blanking plate would have diagnosed it though. I cleaned my valve and everything looked fine, until i fitted a plate and realised how wrong i was! I just think cleaning them is not enough.

oh well ....now sorted!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A £2 blanking plate would have diagnosed it though.
Jings.... really?..... I don't see how a £2 blanking plate could really diagnose anything myself. Remember it's a 16v JTDm which do not respond at all well to the EGR being blanked off completely unless the ECU is fiddled with. I do have an after-market plate which restricts rather than stops the flow exhaust gases to the EGR and I'll fit it tomorrow. Maybe. I agree that the EGR is a pain but those stupid flaps.... well they take the papa india sierra sierra.

oh well ....now sorted!
Ah well.... errr.... no. No it's not.
I assumed that the diagnosis from the Alfa dealer of the EGR being at fault would by the cure all. I was wrong to post with such enthusiasm this morning when I should have known better.
The garage were super busy today with a variety of broken down foreign campervans so I only managed to get the car at 5pm. 5 miles down the road and it's kicking like a mule on acid, but only on light throttle. 'Full chat' and it seems OK.

To be honest, I'm getting a wee bit ticked off with this :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Jings.... really?..... I don't see how a £2 blanking plate could really diagnose anything myself.
you have a problem with the car ....you fit the plate ....the car then works fine

....therefore you've diagnosed its the egr! then its a case of choosing your long term fix. Mine is also a 16v JTDm and i have no probs at all with an unrestricted plate -the mcsf light doesn't bother me. Been blanked now for nearly 2 years i think.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Is that not a MOT fail now any warning light on dash is an auto fail under new MOT regs .You can get it deleted from ECU so it does not open .I had to replace my Inlet on my GT Jtdm due to swirl flap problems .New head is available on E bay about £180 you should replace the switch as well its about same price cost me £650 to get done by garage .You can get a blanking kit off E bay

1 - 12 of 12 Posts