Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing cylinder head on 1.9jtdm 16v. Somehow I have lost my info on how to set engine to TDC before stripping it down.
Does anyone have this info in plain english?
Also can anyone advise how to ensure cams are set right when I refit new head/cam box. I have cam locking tools.
FYI - I know what I am doing generally but have had a confidence failure having lost this info.

·
Registered
9,204 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but no. Unless i am missing something obvious it doesn't give the info I need. I have started job and when I got to this bit my mind went blank, then I couldn't find the info I had 'saved' (or had I?).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brain beginning to work.... cam locking pinsd are on no1 cylinder, so when these click in engine at tdc no1?
Please tell me I am correct, not starting until I get confirmation.
I think I may be finishing this job over xmas.....................

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Not had a JTD engine, so not that familiar. Tried a search and this thread came up with a reference to the Fiat Forum

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/117718-cambelt-change-guide-2-4-jtd-10v.html

Mentions turning crank until TDC marks line up.

And this thread has some pics on post #4:

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/149336-how-to-change-gt-jtd-cam-belt.html

and post #15 has a word doc attached which has some detailed instructions.

Can't offer much more until I can get my old laptop running with elearn which might help ... that's in the garage and it's coming down like stair-rods at the moment .. :(

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
No idea on your specific engine but logic tells me that if you pop the cam locks on then strip it down and take the head off it'll be very easy to see where TDC is then you can see if there are marks etc on the pulley that might line up with something else.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I know what I am doing now, I forgot timing kit sitting on dining room table. Doh! Went back out to start and torx bit slipped on 2nd crank pulley bolt and went flying off into dark and snow, so guess I am not doing much more today/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts