Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

As you may have seen I've put a reservation fee down on a low mileage 159SWTI. It's 3 years old, just come out of lease/finance) and has only done 18,000 miles.

Now whoever owned it first serviced it late - at 2 years 5 months. But at that point it had still only done 15,000 miles.

The oil would have been a bit old for 5 months but not overly dirty. I'm guessing that this won't be a big issue - opinions?

I am aware that this could invalidate the original Alfa warranty, but that has expired anyway. The car is an approved used Alfa with a 12 month warranty which the dealer said is fine because it's a seperate new warranty as part of the Approved Used scheme.

Any thoughts on this servicing issue?

Appreciate your advice...

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
You 'should' be ok. I would get them to state that specifically in writing on headed paper that it is the case.

·
Registered
741 Posts
My 159 2.4 which is a similar age to yours alerts when it needs a service, either through mileage or analysis of its own engine oil condition.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Difficult to say whether it would have any long term adverse affects as there are few of these engines about with high mileages. I would guess at such a low mileage probably not. Many people seem to think the scheduled service intervals (21k/2 years) are too long anyway.

As for the new warranty I would just check it isn't invalidated if the service intervals haven't been rigidly applied.

Looks a good choice BTW - knew you would go for the Ti:thumbs:

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha! How well you have all come to know me! Or just as likely because most Alfisti think in very similar ways ;)

The dealers have just said they are going to issue me a letter on headed paper confirming the service history is not an issue for the new 12 month warranty. So that's good. I'll just have to chase them and make sure I get it!! They seem happy to do anything which doesn't actually cost them real money, which i can understand...

·
Registered
656 Posts
If its the Alfa care warranty then you should get paperwork through from the administrators in next few weeks. The dealer will have made the application on line with them including a confirmation / health check on car, eg confirming its, as far as can be assertained not a lemon, so history not so critical to this matter.

Just make sure you get the confirmation through.

·
Registered
116 Posts
My 1.9 JTDM GT didn't get its first service until almost 3 years and 25000 miles when I bought it! Regularly serviced since, was still going fine at almost 70,000 and 7 years old when I sold it a couple of weeks ago.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's a good idea, but they are on the far side of London (1.15-1.45hrs drive) so it's no really worth getting an oil and filter change from them. I'll get an extra change done at an Indie locally in between services.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts