Alfa Romeo Forum banner

JTD Turbo Upgrades?

22K views 37 replies 19 participants last post by  kgb 
#1 ·
Does anyone know what turbos are fitted to the varying models of 159/GT etc. 2.4/1.9 JTD and what the differences might be, not really been getting anywhere extracting more power out of the current setup via a remap so looking at a package comprising of turbo/chargecooling package/straight through exhaust.

it would seem some modifications can be done to the existing Turbo but could be well dodgy, I would rather pick up a new part if theres one that exists.

My hope is that there is a JTD in the Alfa range with a larger unit that might just bolt-on to the current manifold or adapted to fit.

Would like to find one asap so I can get on the exhaust work, don't want to do a custom downpipe twice. :)

Any info on VNT units froms other brands is also worth mentioning if you know of anything that might be suitable.

#3 ·
Probably more than 15 years ago I got a replacement turbo for the 8valve Lancia Thema from Universal Turbos, they might be the sort of people to advise? Also did a year in a Van Aaken 16V thema which had about 250BHP, with a specially fabricated cooler.
I would expect the turbo temperature on a diesel to be somewhat less than a petrol engine, so more reliable.

#4 ·
the exhaust gasses on turbo diesels are about 200C* colder compared to petrol turbos....reason why the VNT is only used in the new Porsche Turbo

#9 ·
What about all the VAG TDi's that run VNT turbos then :confused:

#5 ·
hi article in auto italia september 2004 for these via a tunit box a proper set up claimed 207bhp and a wopping 340ft lb if you need more than that get a mandrel bent outlet to turbo exhaust and quickest mod is to take that cat out as diesels don't need them 4 mot!!! but the box alone will eat cossies i've seen it done and it was 4 log books so lad lost his cossie lol :D

#6 ·
Hi Guys
ive just invested in remapping gear for all Alfa JTDs and it seems that
the std upgrade is 185/190 bhp for the 150bhp 1.9 others quote 200 plus
not sure its true thats because it is done mainly by upping the fueling
so the std upgrade is 45/50 bhp for all jtds if boost is upped as well
we get into fault lights coming on etc and of course will the engine
take it

As i have my own rolling road
I am interested in making some custom
remaps for peaple who want more then the std remap
how about you Sandy what was the 200 bhp map like
was it 200 ?does it feel like it ?
you may need a bigger intercooler as the jtd is quite small
if you want to try more boost or add charge cooler i think .

Beware of plug in boxes they just raise the fuel pressure in the fuel
rail and in some cases they crack leak and catch fire ive herd of
a few not all alfas. They run 300 bar std i think

Remapping that is done by Angle AD and my self are done correctly by changing injector timing etc to
raise fueling but the software and hardware are expensive
and keeps changing thats why loads of peaple sell the boxes

#7 ·
As yet I have not hit 200bhp, not even near it, I have had a few maps and a few dyno runs its still a work in progress with a few more things to try, still its quite nippy as it stands and is an improvement on the original remap, is it ever going to be enough though :D

Plenty of space in the engine bay for a chargecooler, used one before on my Fiat Coupe along with a bigger side mount it worked well so I was considering that route myself but at the moment I quite tempted to say bugger it and just buy a new motor as I don't have the time for all this tinkering :rolleyes:

#8 ·
Hi Sandy
Not so much fun ?
Celic quote 205 bhp for your car
but i think this is high for remap only
I could run some more boost and fuel
i think we could get 200 but how much
can the eng take ?
std boost is around 1.4 my map runs upto 1.5
with more fueling so around 190 bhp
at 40 gain seems to be the norm

#10 ·
Lack of progress annoys me, so yes not so much fun :( not far off 190 at the mo or at least I was, current map is not quite as hot :rolleyes: if it doesn't get sorted soon perhaps I'll come any see you at least you have the necessary hardware to do a proper job, needs to be played with on a Dyno.

Though perhaps the best step is to whack on a better turbo and some good cooling rather than try to hard taking the stock setup farther.

Another problem is that once you have more power the first 3 gears are just going to be stupid they are already pretty short, perhaps a gearbox mod will also be on the cards.

#11 ·
Hi Sandy
I think the std turbo is a kk ive replaced a few
well 180/190 is the std remap that we can all
do more then that means a custom map and
risk of eng or gaskit problems but 190 works
ok i would think we could try 200/210 but risks
are down to car owner ?
we could have you turbo uprated just all takes
time i guess

#14 ·
Hi Adie,

I have a question that I think you will be able to answer...

Today I fitted a BMC-CDA to my car (was used for about a month by another alfa owner, was still clean so I didn't clean it...so no chance of over oiling the filter and killing the MAF).

I did try to clean the MAF myself by using a special spray for that purpose....anyways that is what happens now with the BMC-CDA

The car feels a lot more responsive, turbo lag is less I think and it kind of pulls from lower revs, in fast accelaration turbo lag is non existant ...for example changing from 2nd to 3rd there is no turbo lag at all....BUT

BUT....I made a few drag races today and when I reach 3rd gear at about 3700rpm the car shows motors control system failure and the power is gone....after I press the clutch and then re-engade the gear or another gear everything is good again.

That occured only last summer when outside temperutures were very high...and also it occured after I fitted the FMIC (after the collusion my car has survived)...

As far as I remeber back then it showed something like pressure control (don't remeber corectly)....BUT then I the problem occured when i was about to overtake someone, floor the car to the maximum...I reach just about 3000rpm, release the gas pedal quickly (due to another driver thinking of overtakeing) and then hitting the gas pedal to the floor againg and then it showed the same thing motor control system failure.

What do you think causes the problem??? should I go for another remap, as my car has changed a lot since the original remap on the factory standart car....remap was done by digital tuning...from 115 to 148bhp and 363NM...dyno tested it and it prove their figures....

Now the car has the BMC-CDA, both of the catalityc converters are gone and a free flow sport exhaust is fitted, together with a frount mount intercooler...

What power increase I might be looking at...and should I ask for another remap???

With that setup, do you think a bigger turbo as a must and what performance increase I can look at.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.

#17 · (Edited)
Hi guys,
In AlfaClub Romania we have a 147 1.9 Mjtd (140HP) with turbo upgrade :). The car is a bomb, going from 0 to 100 in 6.7 seconds :), now having a moderate remap and 200+ HP (1.1 bar for turbo - that's -0.1 than normal for that turbo and the guy is thinking to rise it to 1.4-1.5 bar). The car is wonderfull in every way, very brutal acceleration :)
I will instruct him to post here the engine modifications :) (Novitec intercooler, BMC CDA, both catalityc converters are gone, Novitec exhaust, turbo upgrade, custom remap)

#19 ·
Seems like my friend Tupac already made my introduction :p
My 1.9JTD 16V had a turbo-upgrade one month ago. As my stock turbocarger was taking its last breaths, I decides to think BIG :D , so I changed my VNT 18 stock turbo with a hibrid one: VNT 20 with a 22 compressor. Still Garrett, still bolt on, I didn't have to do any mods to it as it fits perfectly. The results are impresive, the car has transformed into mean lean road-eating machine.
The problem with a bigger turbo is of course turbo lag. Because your new, bigger compressor unit has to work with the same amount of exhaust gass, it will begin spinning at a higher RPM. BUT if you have a skilled tuner who can program your ECU, you should be fine. Currently my tubo kicks in at about 2000rpm and hits maximum boost at about 2600rpms. With this mild soft I work with 1,2 bar in boost, in a few weeks time I should reach 1,5-1,6.
I recomend this upgrade to all my JTD brothers, over the years I've had the novitec power-box, an agresive remap and now this turbo-upgrade. The future looks bright :cool:

#20 ·
We will be having a meeting in the city of Varna next week on the 25-26-27....it is not far away from you....You can come if you wish.

I was about to invite you, but all the time you have some problems with your forum.

About the turbo upgrade....sooner or later that will happen...I hope my stock turbo will last another year. But I am thinking also of engine upgrade with the 16v unit...then a bigger turbo...and about 220bhp is my goal....for next summer.

My car seems fine now....my hold boost is around 1.45Bar.

#21 ·
AlexP,

Can you post some pictures of your car....I am really interested in that intercooler of yours and as well how you mounted the BMC-cda

Thanks

#23 ·
I think that power box are dangerous...there are some threads with explanation of that.

I fixed my bella, it ended up being the solenoid valve that controls the turbo pressure.

Now I am installing an oil temp, and oil pressure gauge to monitor the oil flow and temp. in the car as I am thinking of increasing the turbo pressure more.

Does anyone know when the limp home mode will be activated??? I Think that on 1.9JTD 8v it kicks in at more then 1.6Bar....but soon I will know that.

Sandy, what other modes have you done to your bella....as I can't seem to remember now:(

#25 ·
That is what I though, as I think that if you remove both of the catalytic converters and mount a free flow back box like I did...and add a BMC-CDA to the equation...with the proper map, you will be able to get around 200bhp without a problem.

A FMIC will be something that will help you a lot...and then I think that you will be able to pass the MOT without a problem.

It will be very interesting to me, what you will achieve in the future as I am thinking of mounting the 16v unit in my bella...and maybe a larger turbo.

Around 230bhp and 450-500NM is my goal:)

#37 ·
A FMIC will be something that will help you a lot...and then I think that you will be able to pass the MOT without a problem.

It will be very interesting to me, what you will achieve in the future as I am thinking of mounting the 16v unit in my bella...and maybe a larger turbo.

Around 230bhp and 450-500NM is my goal:)
Raising the dead: gone through the same issues, GTB1756MFS hybrid should be enough. To make it shorter: 1.9 bar boost to keep the stock MAP, 94mm^3/i, done.

#30 ·
The turbo on the 140 & 150 is the garrett GT2249.

Its a fair size turbo, BMW used it on their early 3.0diesels.

Mine uses this turbo and I run it at 1.9-2.5bar (30-37psi)

When mine goes I may look at a slightly larger turbo, but you need to be very carefull on the intake side, do not go too big.

Apparently the turbo off the 316/416cdi merc sprinter van, (I think its a GT2249) is some sort of upgrade, supposed to have a bigger intake pipe for better flow.

You can hybrid the standard turbo.

I take it to get 200bhp you've done the FMIC and intake mods as its near impossible to get a proven 200bhp without these mods.
The best way to get increase the boost (as the ecu runs an overboost function) is both by chipping and a voltage clamp on the MAP sensor.

there is a thread on FMIC tips in this tuning lounge which may be of some help in tuning, nothing on turbo's mind.

#29 ·
Not sure...you need to do some research on the net...we will be doing some mods on a 136bhp some time in the future.

#31 ·
Using the FMIC above...
Silicone joints are bad for air turbulences so lots of welding was used.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.