Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys its normal if my GTD clutch pedal is stiff? but not all the time,what could cause this issue?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Guys its normal if my GTD clutch pedal is stiff? but not all the time,what could cause this issue?
Can be the bushes on the clutch actuator fork which can contribute to this. Plenty of threads on here. Solutions involve replacing the top bush and trying to lubricate the lower bush by dribbling a small quantity of oil down the clutch actuator fork. I have had success by dribbling a small amount of plusgas down the actuator fork. Did not expect this to work as I expected the heat to cause the plusgas to dry quickly but has worked ok for me. I took the chance as I was expecting to have to change the clutch in the next 12 mths so had nothing to lose -I would change both bushes when this time arrived. As it happened I still have not changed the clutch and all still ok.
Of course the clutch tends to get heavy when it wears so it could be wear and only a new clutch will sort it.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
There is a picture on the site of a dismantled bell housing showing what gtv160 has just said and that same remedy.

It sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

I found the clutch on my 159 very heavy, it was normal.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can be the bushes on the clutch actuator fork which can contribute to this. Plenty of threads on here. Solutions involve replacing the top bush and trying to lubricate the lower bush by dribbling a small quantity of oil down the clutch actuator fork. I have had success by dribbling a small amount of plusgas down the actuator fork. Did not expect this to work as I expected the heat to cause the plusgas to dry quickly but has worked ok for me. I took the chance as I was expecting to have to change the clutch in the next 12 mths so had nothing to lose -I would change both bushes when this time arrived. As it happened I still have not changed the clutch and all still ok.
Of course the clutch tends to get heavy when it wears so it could be wear and only a new clutch will sort it.
thanks mate

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Failing clutch will usually just slip. Poor/heavy/uneven pedal feel with no slip is related to the release mechanism, usually the bushes as has been mentioned, or, if you're unlucky, the release bearing.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-andamp-gt/210617-gt-jtd-stiff-clutch.html

Not convinced clutches get that heavy with age because numerous people who had new clutches fitted under warranty, replaced due to heavy/stiff uneven pedal feel, found that the new light clutch quickly became stiff again within a few months. Alfa just changed the clutch but didn't sort out the release arm bushes.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
usual suspects are bushes on the clutch actuator fork,slave cylinder,master cylinder,then clutch release bearing..and some times its just normal for a JTDm.

I had the clutch ,flywheel and slave cylinder replaced last year and it felt great ..for about a month,normal service resumed with a generally inconsistent clutch action which sort itself out by regularly lubricating the actuator fork.

not a guaranteed fix though and some just stay heavy in action, there is a fix that is to do with changing the position of the slave cylinder. search function is your friend..:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Not convinced clutches get that heavy with age because numerous people who had new clutches fitted under warranty, replaced due to heavy/stiff uneven pedal feel, found that the new light clutch quickly became stiff again within a few months. Alfa just changed the clutch but didn't sort out the release arm bushes.
Tend to agree with you here. Would suggest that the problem is likely to be actuator fork bushes or one of the other likely suspects. It has been reported on here though that wear can give rise to heavy clutch and I'm assuming that this is due to wear on the pressure plate/release bearing. Have not experienced it personally so only going by others experience here. It's an issue that does seem to affect a fair proportion of modern Alfas so there must be some identifiable reasn for it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts