Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share some recently acquired knowledge , after a lot of research finally found the cure to erratic reading of an oil level display (you know the one that appears briefly when you turn the key to ON )

One of my 147 JTDs was showing erratic reading, every key on it used to show a different level, now after cleaning of the below mentioned connectors the reading has stabilized and it matches the reading on manual dipstick.

It is basically pretty simple, you need to clean the actual connector on the sender unit (you need to get under the car and it is located above the driveshaft next to the dipstick tube , you will see a green connector, take it out and give it a good squirt using an electrical contact cleaner or similar.

Next step is to find and clean the contacts of the so called D4 connector which sits near the engine ECU (near the windscreen washer bottle) . Take it apart and repeat the cleaning process, assembling and disassembling the connector several times to ensure that the cleaner has penetrated and cleaned the pins. Here is the photo of the so called D4 connector, the other one on the sender unit is pretty self explanatory so I did not take a photo of that:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just wanted to share some recently acquired knowledge , after a lot of research finally found the cure to erratic reading of an oil level display (you know the one that appears briefly when you turn the key to ON )

One of my 147 JTDs was showing erratic reading, every key on it used to show a different level, now after cleaning of the below mentioned connectors the reading has stabilized and it matches the reading on manual dipstick.

It is basically pretty simple, you need to clean the actual connector on the sender unit (you need to get under the car and it is located above the driveshaft next to the dipstick tube , you will see a green connector, take it out and give it a good squirt using an electrical contact cleaner or similar.

Next step is to find and clean the contacts of the so called D4 connector which sits near the engine ECU (near the windscreen washer bottle) . Take it apart and repeat the cleaning process, assembling and disassembling the connector several times to ensure that the cleaner has penetrated and cleaned the pins. Here is the photo of the so called D4 connector, the other one on the sender unit is pretty self explanatory so I did not take a photo of that:

Nice, just what I need.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts