Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car won't start when engine hot (90% of the time)! Cold start OK, runs well hot or cold.
Firstly, I read the RealSlim... post on same / similar subject
Waow, what a nightmare. Delighted for your happy ending. My hat off to doctor Smaky. Appears a new ECU was the fix, with complications to be sorted in getting their.

I am no expert in such matters and for my hot start troubles, my instinct before reading the aforementioned script was 02 sensor. Now I'm thinking crank sensor first, then ECU (if cheap enough). The car is 156 JTD 2.4 10v , 10 years old. She's been a good horse and I would be sad to loose her.

Problem started after a long very wet run, filled up in garage car wouldn't start but finally 5 min later after intermittent attempts. Thoiught little of it at the time, put it down to the awful weather. After the incident hot start was generally OK , but grew worse. Leading to where I'm at just now. Wont start when hot.

Bacground, probably unrelated: some 5 months earlier car went into limp mode. EGR had clogged to the point of failure. Cleaned EGR and mechanic replaced crank sensor (further to diagnostics error code), think he had to change the control mechanism for EGR as well. Happy days, at least for 6 months. No issues and thousands of miles on the clock. Until NOW.

Additional information, the old girl is over due a new cam belt.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good advise, thx. I'll try and get it on diagnostics this week.and see from there.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
if its crank sensor it should start when cold run till temp hits 90 then not start for around 30 mins, then stop again when temp gets to 90 again
thats what happened when mine went anyway

Gary

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Diagnosis logged the following codes:
Flow meter (air): P0101
Air temperature sensor: P0110
Engine rpm sensor: P0353
Preheating relay:p0380

Reset the memory to clear codes. Hopefully when it doesn't start again I get less codes and can home in on problem.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Diagnosis logged the following codes:
Flow meter (air): P0101
Air temperature sensor: P0110
Engine rpm sensor: P0353
Preheating relay:p0380

Reset the memory to clear codes. Hopefully when it doesn't start again I get less codes and can home in on problem.
p0380 is only gonna be problem if difficulty cold starting ,usually throws this fault as feed back from control unit ,dont worry
p0101 and p0110 usually come about if plug is disconnected
p0353 replace that :thumbs:crank sensor

1 - 7 of 7 Posts