Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to diesels, so bear with me.

I've just about figured that glowplugs are a diesel engines equivalent of spark plugs.

But more specifically, what are they, how do they work, and importantly what sort of maintenance do they need / when should they be replaces?

cheers all:)

156 JTD 2.4 2001

S

·
0 Posts
they glow when first starting the engine. As soon as the engine is running they sort of become inactive.

My advice is dont bother changing them if you car starts ok as its a waste of money and even if one fails just change the 1!

A worry with glow plugs is they can seize into the engine and ive heard of some garages having to drill them out to get them out... luckily ive never had this problem. Id recommend spraying them with a little WD40 before trying to remove them and using copper greese on the threads when putting them back in

·
Registered
121 Posts
petrol needs a spark, diesels work on compression (causes heat), too help the compression when cold the glow plug heats chamber.
just got jtd but had mark 4 golf from new to 147,000 miles and never changed plugs once. so as cookci said , just leave alone.

·
Registered
75 Posts
darn it - further to changing the battery to sort out the abs and handbrake warning lights on my dashboard, and thinking it had sorted the glow plug warning light as well (wishful thinking), the latter started to flash again this morning.

has anyone had a similar experience? the light flashes for about twenty seconds after starting the car and then goes out for as long as that journey may be.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If your JTD starts fine then leave well alone glow plugs are not really needed on modern diesels unless it is very very cold.
The light flashed on my Marea JTD for ages and it never failed to start

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Yep just leave it, I get the pre heat warning on my JTD for the past year or so, tried to fix it replacing failing plugs which were a ***** to get out only for another plug to go weeks later (or at least the warning came back) Fiat suggested some computer needed replacing which I did as it was an annoyance, all money down the drain though as light is still there.

Car functions fine through all weathers so have just left it, I think my best bet would be to use some electro trickery to fool the check system into thinking everything is A-OK as I'll just end up going round in circles blowing dough for nothing.

·
Registered
75 Posts
ok, thanks. although the light only appeared for the first time about ten days ago, it does start first time every time and runs perfectly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
mine has been doing it for months and no problems starting, this car costs enough to run so i am gonna leave it well alone!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I was thinking about getting mine changed.

Now we are having a bit of cold weather sometimes my 156 takes a long time to start, putting sa lot of strain on the battery. I don't want to bugger the battery up as they all get quite a bit of hammer this time of year, with heaters, wipers and lights on all the time.

Do you think I in my case I ought to get them changed or not?:confused:

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Its true that modern diesels dont really need glow plugs unless its v cold, but if youre having trouble starting and its an oldish car it would certainly help, theyre not very expensive and very easy to do-just undo some connectors and unscrew em.

S

·
0 Posts
change them anyway.

they are cheap and can weld themselves to the head after time

·
Registered
116 Posts
Had to get a new battery at the weekend.:rant:

Came to try and start it for a quick dash somewhere and it died. Down to Halfwits fitted £103. not what I needed at this time of year.

Still starting slow so this is definately the next job.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts