Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be removing the gearbox from my 147 soon (JTDm Q2) and am interested to hear the easiest way to do it please.... I dropped the subframe recently to fit a new ARB so know the fasteners will all come out easily but I've read that the box can come off without touching the subframe. I like the sound of that so any advice appreciated.

The clutch release bearing is noisy so I'll be fitting a new clutch at the same time (though it seems fine), but my finances won't stretch to a new DMF. I don't know much about them so please would someone let me know what tolerances I should be hoping for, and any allowable play?

Thanks y'all

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I don’t know the allowable tolerances but I kind of know by feel if it’s any good if you know what I mean. Rotating it you will have some play on my recent new luk BMW one I would estimate 4-5mm from stop to stop. Rocking in and out my old one probably had 4-5mm but new one barely anything. You could feel movement but nothing like the old one.

I know you said finances wouldn’t allow but it’s false economy to reuse a DMF that is known to be old,if your luck is anything like mine you will be taking box out in a month or 2 as DMF has failed.

min terms of removing never done a 147 but I have in the past done cars that do require frame removal but ended up just leaving all in place and sliding gearbox back and resting on the frame. Just enough to get in and change clutch/DMF not sure if that’s possible on yours though.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're right of course, totally false economy. I'm just tired of throwing money at the car (much as I love it). By a stroke of luck I've found a genuine DMF at a reasonable price so that'll be added to the job.

So chaps, who can help with gearbox removal advice? I'm planning to remove the airbox, driveshafts and drop downwards with the subframe untouched. Can I do this?

Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts