Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I`m a new owner of an old(ish) 2001 156 JTD sportwagon (yes I know it`s a deisel, I`d love to have a petrol V of some sort, but I`ve got to be bit practical)...not much history, but in very good nick even with 190,00km on clock(French car).
I`d like to, actually I need to, I guess, do an engine service. It runs very sweet at the moment, no problems so far!! but with no history I`d like to play safe, as safe as can be on a practical budget.
So could anybody out there suggest where I start?
oil and filters?
Belts?
etc...??
I would like to buy all the parts myself and ship them out to France(much cheaper than buying here!!) and then get my trusty(ish) French garage to fit them. Could anybody suggest the best place for all the service parts?
Thank you in advance all you lovely Alfa people.........X

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
check the suspension parts, the engine is very heavy for the 156 and the standard suspension is pretty crappy. knocking over bump or anything quite uneven will require a few euros spent on getting a proper setup.
Other things know to fail on the JTD are the turbo hoses, especially the lower one (turbo to intercooler) this rubs on a gearbox bolt and causes a hole, you will notice this straight away as it kicks out a lot of black smoke and you will be down on power. EGR - these can fail, again you will know straight away as there will be no power until you hit 2000rpms.
Apart from that the engine is bulletproof unlike the newer 20v engines which can have waterpump failures and the driveshafts are not as strong as the 10v.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks......like most of us, I don`t want it turning into a money pit! but I do love it, a semi practical car that`s an Alfa! what more can you ask for!

·
Registered
9,306 Posts
I think the 1.9 JTD can suffer from water-pump issues too ... try the search function on here and it will throw up all sorts of interesting posts

As for parts, the main internet shops are (in no particular order):

EB Spares (you sometimes have to ring to sort out payment, etc)

Shop4Parts (have monthly offers)

Alternative Autos

Alfa Workshop

buypartsby (not specifically Alfa, but I get my brake parts from them as they are good quality kit and cheap! I've also bought two Pug cambelt kits from them and saved a bit)

You will need to check with each one if they are willing to ship to France though ....

HTH

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many thanks......
I will do a phone round.

Does any body use Veloces for parts? or are they a bit expensive?
quote for top turbo hose 75 quid? plus 25 quid to send to France!!
I may have to try the Alfa dealer in the next town....?!

·
Registered
9,306 Posts
Dealers will always be more expensive than independents ....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts