Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks, just a quick question, I own a 147JTD 16V and would like to know if I can run her on pure cooking oil. Not used oil but the fresh stuff just out of the bottle.
Thanks for your responses.:thumbs:

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
Would you cook your chips in Tesco City Diesel?

(for that matter would you put Tesco fuel in your car!)

·
Vendor
45,312 Posts
No you can't, it is too viscous and will ruin the fuel system. 100% Bio-diesel is questionable, it is barely thicker than regular diesel, but some people will tell you that is no good for a modern diesel either in the long term.

I ran my diesel Mondeo on 50:50 fresh veg oil and pump diesel last summer when the prices were sky high, but that is a 1999 car and the engine technology was ten years old when they built it..

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I was talking to HM Revenue and Customs today, and, from a legal standpoint, it's fine. Not sure I'd be keen to take the chance with ruining your engine though.

·
Registered
146 Posts
No , not without modification to the oil. You can run the old style diesel engines on cooking oil but not the new ones. Nothing to do with new/re-cycled oil and all to do with what cooking oil is. It could be used if modified and made into Bio fuel but the manufacturers do not support the use and would not accept responsibility if your engine died.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I know somebody who did this with an old Rover diesel and they say it ran fine on 50-50 - although you need to do a lot of fuel filter changes too which adds to the cost. They did say though that as cooking oil has gone up more then diesel in the last couple of years it was doubtful as to whether it is really worth it if you just do an average mileage.

·
Vendor
45,312 Posts
I know somebody who did this with an old Rover diesel and they say it ran fine on 50-50 - although you need to do a lot of fuel filter changes too which adds to the cost. They did say though that as cooking oil has gone up more then diesel in the last couple of years it was doubtful as to whether it is really worth it if you just do an average mileage.
The price of cooking oil usually lags behind the cost of diesel. When diesel went up from £0.99 to ~£1.30 in the space of 6 months, cooking oil went from £0.57 to ~£1.10 a litre, but not straight away. I got loads at 57p a litre but soon veg oil shot up and I stopped using it. It wasn't long until the price of diesel dropped though.

I changed my fuel filter 1,000 miles after starting to use veg oil (abaout 144k on the odometer), and it was full of crap. 7,000 miles of 50:50 later I checked the fuel filter again and it was clean. Veg oil cleans the fuel system out, so I think it lifter everything that had built up in the tank for years. But after that initial filter change I didn't need to do it again.

It was quite interesting to note how the car drove on 50:50 compared to pure pump diesel.

On 50:50 it was torquier before the turbo spooled up, it idled smoother and did about 4mpg better. But after 3k rpm it was less powerful than on pump diesel, I guess this is because the veg oil is slower burning. It took longer to start on 50:50 but it never let me down.

·
Registered
170 Posts
A little off thread, but still worth noting. A friend of mine ran his ,99 Vauxhall vectra on cherry diesel which cost him nothing from the site bowser for about 18 months, then the feul pump ground to a halt. Since the pump was a part of the engine the repair cost him £1500 to repair plus the inconvenience. I've only ever owned one diesel which is the one I own now (1.9JTDm) and I only ever consider putting best stuff in the tank, steering clear of supermarket pumps too.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Are these parts that cooking oil or poor grade diesel clog-up part of the standard Alfa service plan ?
I am worried now that because I have no choice but to use 'supermarket diesel' (no other pumps within 45mins drive) that I might get these pumps/filters clogged faster than the premium grade fuel users. If the parts are on the standard service plan then its less to worry about as they will change filters etc when its serviced :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts