Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys my JTD cuts out whilst driving its only been for a few seconds each time and i get a VDC sytem error come up on the dash though I think thats because of the cutting out........

yesterday I stopped for a quick pee behind a hedge... got back in the car and it wouldnt start but gave the VDC system error and the light was lit on the button (ASR or whatever button it is) and would not go off, I tred starting the car and nothing (it was turning over fine) then after a few mins it started :)

HELP!!!

·
Registered
239 Posts
ASR - Anti Slip Regulation

When the vehicle detects a VDC (Vechicle Dynanic Control) error, it will shut off the ABS, EBD (Electronics Brake force Distribution) and ASR. The reason the ASR is lit up, is simply that it is disabled.

I would expect, that the cutting out, and VDC errors are likely to be different faults, you should read any error codes stored inthe ECU to start with.

SB

·
Registered
140 Posts
Dunno if it helps but i got those errors from time to time, since i changed the battery they are gone i guess the battery didnt have enough juice to "fuel" every electronic properly, well it lasted 7 years so it did it job more that it was ment to.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok so checked and there are no errors logged....... battery is only a couple of months old, it just totaly cuts out when it goes and its not a loose power kinda thing the engine totaly cuts out for about 5 seconds untill the last time when it wouldnt start each time it done it has been while turning slowly dont know if that helps (just thinking if there is anything that links each time :p), any ideas anyone?

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Is the battery the correct spec?? ...you bought it a few months ago when the weather was warmer.

now its brass monkey temperatures it may be struggling. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea deffo the rite spec was also a more expensive one than stock because it has Calcium in it or somthing..... sposedly has 30% more power or some crap lol but anyway I went out earlyer and checked the battery and wires ect, also checked the charging voltage via fiatscan and it was in the 14v and engine off it was over 12v (12. somthing) and it looked ok in fiatscan everything looked like it was all ok, was nice to check the engine temp as the dial only says just over 50 lol but was realy in the 80's :)

so does anyone have any idea's now? could it be the ignition switch or is there a fuse or relay I should be looking at..... I need to get to autolusso to treat my car but cant risk a 70m trip if the damn things cutting out! typical when I have a little spair cash to treat the car somthing goes wrong :(

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nope one time was from cold, also it restarts in only a few seconds normaly...... does it give the vdc error because the engine cuts out or because its loosing electrical power somware? just stabbing at straws realy :(

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
nope one time was from cold, also it restarts in only a few seconds normaly...... does it give the vdc error because the engine cuts out or because its loosing electrical power somware? just stabbing at straws realy :(
you cut power and vdc will be shown as it detects no power to work so throws that error

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
first off cheers for your help guys :)

secondly, so your saying its because the car is loosing electric on one or more of its systems and NOT because the engine is cutting out but the engine is cutting out BECAUSE of said systems loosing the electic current...
if so it must be somthing that wont cause a error code but runs the VDC and somthing else like the diesel pump causing the engine to stop? but then again would no fuel not cause a error? hmmm

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
first off cheers for your help guys :)

secondly, so your saying its because the car is loosing electric on one or more of its systems and NOT because the engine is cutting out but the engine is cutting out BECAUSE of said systems loosing the electic current...
if so it must be somthing that wont cause a error code but runs the VDC and somthing else like the diesel pump causing the engine to stop? but then again would no fuel not cause a error? hmmm
high pressure p0191 code /malfunction does it

·
Registered
239 Posts
I don't suppose it's the immobiliser ?

Try your spare key, in case the transponder in the key is duff..

There's obviously a lot more to the immobiliser system, but a quick easy thing to try..

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Is there any fuel in it?
Check for loose or corroded connections and fuses in the fusebox on the battery positive terminal.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
I don't suppose it's the immobiliser ?

Try your spare key, in case the transponder in the key is duff..

There's obviously a lot more to the immobiliser system, but a quick easy thing to try..
immobilisor only works on starting not when its running i believe

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
when was last time fuel filter was changed ? i would change that as 12k is change time and often left out on servicing

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hmmm thats somthing thats not been done..... good thought :) is it easy to change? maybe that would cause erratic power? somtime it feels faster than others, still feels electrical though so i will check the fuses ect :)

cheers peeps :)

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
hmmm thats somthing thats not been done..... good thought :) is it easy to change? maybe that would cause erratic power? somtime it feels faster than others, still feels electrical though so i will check the fuses ect :)

cheers peeps :)
very easy ..change that and i think your problems be over:p

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
crap there is 3 differant part numbers.... or hmmm do I bring the 72000 mile service forward to 65000 miles and get autolusso to service it when they do the upper arms and ARB ect, the cambelt was done nov 2010 at 48k though I changed the oil/filter/airfilter only 3k ago

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
crap there is 3 differant part numbers.... or hmmm do I bring the 72000 mile service forward to 65000 miles and get autolusso to service it when they do the upper arms and ARB ect, the cambelt was done nov 2010 at 48k though I changed the oil/filter/airfilter only 3k ago
contact your dealer with chassis number .........do filter yourself very simple job ..unplug 2 electrical plugs undo 2 nuts that hold housing to bulkhead lift filter up disconnect quick release lines remove lower connector(sensor) .. screw filter off .smear filter seal with diesel screw on and reconnect everything in reverse order ..job done

1 - 19 of 19 Posts