Alfa Romeo Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
I found that "Mocal" oil thermostats are with limit (flow/bypass) temperature of 180°C (or 200°C on some high temp models). What is maximum oil temperature in case of our JTD Alfas?
@Boris - what is approx. price for "second hand" oil cooler from broken 16v JTD?
Did not find it yet, so I don't have the price. It will be very difficult to find, since diesel 16V Alfas are rare and new (even in Italy on brakeyards).
But there is always an option of using second hand parts (cooler, plate, pipes and fittings)from 145/146 diesels. They can be fitted, but not as easy as 147/156 16V parts.

Also there is one problem with using aftermarket parts like from Mocal.
I prefer removing oil/water heat exchanger, even if there is enough room, because oil filter will be too close to the heat from turbo charger (in may case because of the heat from pre-catalyst)
When you remove oil/water heat exchanger, plate from Alfa fits perfectly to its place, but I think that aftermarket plates will not fit nicely, because they are meant to be installed in place of oil filter. You will understand what I mean, when you see the picture.

Also, I don't think that home made oil coller has enough cooling capacity.

I have attached a picture of oil/water heat exchanger on petrol 2.0 TS and oil cooler plate on diesel 16V

Attachments

·
Registered
833 Posts
Yes, you are right - same situation with broken 16v is by me. I agree that oil cooler should be placed on enough distance from heat source (exhaust manifold, turbo, pre-catalyst, etc...). But if we make an oil cooler as enough long spiral coil and place it in right wing (before right wheel), where is now steering oil cooler, maybe it will be good. Better than now, for sure, IMO...

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I have requested the price of the second hand 16V oil cooler but was said that the price would be quite high (~150EUR). Universal aftermarket ones are cheaper. Can anyone measure that stock cooler please?

·
Registered
560 Posts
I have requested the price of the second hand 16V oil cooler but was said that the price would be quite high (~150EUR). Universal aftermarket ones are cheaper. Can anyone measure that stock cooler please?
Only the cooler or everything (pipes, plate, fittings)?

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Only the cooler or everything (pipes, plate, fittings)?
The cooler only, if I understand right. But he wasn't sure, Could be, that he messed it with the intercooler ;-). Anyway I'm still waiting for the pricing.

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
Waaaay too expensive. I paid less for a brand new one. If I were you I'd inform somewhere else.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Waaaay too expensive. I paid less for a brand new one. If I were you I'd inform somewhere else.
Yeah, I know I can buy shiny new universal aftermarket 329 x 210 x 50mm one for ~125EUR. But I checked ePer (a bit outdated, February 2010) and the prices for brand new Alfa ones were from 280 to 380EUR for coolers only! Insane. Did you buy Alfa OEM or some universal one?

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
Yeah, I know I can buy shiny new universal aftermarket 329 x 210 x 50mm one for ~125EUR. But I checked ePer (a bit outdated, February 2010) and the prices for brand new Alfa ones were from 280 to 380EUR for coolers only! Insane. Did you buy Alfa OEM or some universal one?
I have Alfa 16v OEM piece, I think it costed me 120 euro new.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I agree if you can get the parts from Alfa then its better.

Oil cooler parts I got from Mocal using 5/8" connection and hoses. Also I fitted remote oil filter but obviously you dont need that ;)

I know this is a a big time thread resurrection, but if you're still on the forum, I was hoping you could list which parts you got (i.e part numbers or info on threads on the adaptors)?

·
Registered
905 Posts
What exactly do you need? Stock parts or Mocal parts?

I have installed a Racimex (same like Mocal) oil thermostat and oil cooler. I reaplaced the oil water exchanger with the thermostat.

The oil was in my JTD after 6 min. on 60°C and it don't go over 130°C - in germany with full throttle on the autobahn!

For example:

61 - 70 of 70 Posts