Alfa Romeo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
I wish to achieve soft engine work and because of that I think about change of oil brand and quality... In that sense - is the choice of 0W-40 instead of 5W-40 good solution?
About oil cooler - I don't find any serious problem about upgrade of 8v system with real oil cooler and thermostat from 16v. Steering oil cooler spiral coil can be replaced (and reshaped if it made from copper pipe as DIY thing)...

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
If you want high quality oil, use Motul 300V 5W40, or silkolene Pro S 5W40. Both are ester synthetic, best you can get.

Other brands are OK too... Mobil, Shell, Valvoline, Motul, ...

About 5W40 vs 0W40... Once the engine is warmed up they both have the same viscosity, so saying that it is too thin is stupid.0W40 is only thinner when the car is cold, and that is not bad, but when the engine is warmed up to 90°C there is no difference of whatsoever in viscosity between those two.
But there is one thing, 0W40 has much more viscosity modifiers, and that typo of oil is more susceptible to thinning out over time. So by the end of the oil change interval 5W40 might still be in specs, but 0W40 could be thinned out to something like 0W30. That means it will be thinner when the engine is hot. And that is not the best thing.

You should look for oils with high HTHS numbers... those are not prone to thinning out so quickly. (but that is the expensive stuff)...

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
@Tribes Man
the "xW-YZ" Numbers can only be used for roughly estimation / comparison.
if you check the technical data on the oils (Mobile - for instance on the webpage)
you can see there are quite some differences - not only during cold start ;)

·
Registered
836 Posts
I see - "time thinning" is very important issue which emphasizes 5W-40 oil for our Alfas...
@Tribesman - you said Motul 300v 5W-40 - can I try it instead of Selenia?

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
@Black-Sheep...

Most (lets say 95%) of 5W40 and 0W40 will have the viscosity at 100°C around 14 +-5%. There are some with lower and some with higher viscosity, but majority is 14.

@dusan I use 300V 5W40, no problems, but you might find it expensive...

·
Registered
836 Posts
Here in Serbia price for 2l is 33€ - but change is every 12months, approx...

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Just have checked the local prices ...

Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 .... ~13EUR/liter
Motul 300V Power 5W-40 .... ~15EUR/liter

Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 (0W-40)
=========================
density at 15°C kg/l 0,84 (0,84)
kinematic viscosity at 40°C cSt 74,4 (75,2)
kinematic viscosity ati 100°C cSt 13,1 (13,6)
flashpoint 215°C (215°C)
Bod tuhnutí -39°C (-42°C)

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
This shell is good oil, specially for 16V with oil cooler. For 8V I would pick something "thicker" at high temperature.

Silkolene Pro S 5W40 would be my choice for 8V.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Today morning I changed Selenia WR 5W-40 oil with Motul 300v Power 5W-40... My first impressions are that my JTD now work smoother than before and this difference is obvious. I hope that Motul is also enough good for lubrication of my turbo.
Thank you TribesMan for the useful recommendation :thumbs:...

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
If you want to fit an oil cooler you could fit an adapter plate between the oil filter and run oil lines to an oil cooler under the wheel arch etc.

I did this to my 2.5 V6 which has very little space and it would look like the JTD engine has plenty space around the oil filter area.....probably much cheaper than buying the parts from Alfa

The adapter plate can easily be fitted with a thermostat so that it only opens once the oil is warm

·
Registered
560 Posts
If you want to fit an oil cooler you could fit an adapter plate between the oil filter and run oil lines to an oil cooler under the wheel arch etc.

I did this to my 2.5 V6 which has very little space and it would look like the JTD engine has plenty space around the oil filter area.....probably much cheaper than buying the parts from Alfa
That is the same solution like taking 16 V parts. One advantage of taking original Alfa parts is because they fit with no problems, there is already place for cooler under wheel arch, cooler has apropriate dimensions and all fitings and pipes are already available.
Other advantage is a fact that you can take cheaper parts from broken Alfa.

BTW where did you find aftermarket oil cooler, adapter and other for Alfa? Any recomendations?

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
I agree if you can get the parts from Alfa then its better.

Oil cooler parts I got from Mocal using 5/8" connection and hoses. Also I fitted remote oil filter but obviously you dont need that ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
836 Posts
I found that "Mocal" oil thermostats are with limit (flow/bypass) temperature of 180°C (or 200°C on some high temp models). What is maximum oil temperature in case of our JTD Alfas?
@Boris - what is approx. price for "second hand" oil cooler from broken 16v JTD?

·
Registered
8,063 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Thank you Pascs - this is much better (180°F=82°C)
This "thermostatic sandwich plate" (which consists thermostat) is with different thread fitting option and with price of €53.27... In that case some oil cooler could be from various sources... This is reasonably solution.

What is your opinion about DIY copper oil cooler with same shape and place like a steering oil cooler from 1.9 JTD 16v (behind the front bumper grill)? Or with same shape (spiral coil) and appropriate place like a steering cooler from 8v (wheel arch area)?
Is it with enough cooling capacity? If it is, this will be the simplest solution, of course in combination of "thermostatic sandwich plate"...

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
The Mocal thread options are M18, M20 and 3/4" UNF - my oil filter was M20 but I think some like the GTA are the same as 3/4" UNF (M19). You also might not need to remove the existing oil/water cooler but just add the oil cooler adapter plate between that and the oil filter, depends how much space there is available. M20 is same thread as Subaru etc

Many companies are making the same so you could find alternative from a different manufacturer, I just found that Mocal is very nice quality. I think you'd need a proper matrix type cooler but I guess you could try something the same as the power steering coil but I'm not sure how effective that is.

It is also possible on the mocal sandwich plate to add an adapter for oil temp or oil pressure sender

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
The Mocal thread options are M18, M20 and 3/4" UNF - my oil filter was M20 but I think some like the GTA are the same as 3/4" UNF (M19). You also might not need to remove the existing oil/water cooler but just add the oil cooler adapter plate between that and the oil filter, depends how much space there is available. M20 is same thread as Subaru etc

Many companies are making the same so you could find alternative from a different manufacturer, I just found that Mocal is very nice quality. I think you'd need a proper matrix type cooler but I guess you could try something the same as the power steering coil but I'm not sure how effective that is.

It is also possible on the mocal sandwich plate to add an adapter for oil temp or oil pressure sender
Have you checke oil temp's after installation of the Mocal cooler?
I have one on my 180sx and the standard thermostat (adaptor plate) was opening at about 72°C - the engine COULD never reach 80°C oil Temperture while driven leagal.
How's your's?

·
Registered
560 Posts
I agree if you can get the parts from Alfa then its better.

Oil cooler parts I got from Mocal using 5/8" connection and hoses. Also I fitted remote oil filter but obviously you dont need that ;)
What did you do with oil/water heat exchanger, did you remove it?

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
I kept the oil/water exchanger because on the V6 there is no room to get any tools at it, even the filter is extremely difficult. I just replaced the oil filter with a take off adapter plate and ran the oil hoses to the oil cooler and remote filter.................so quite a different setup than you would use on a JTD but I assume its the same basic idea.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts