Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow Alfa Bods...

my clutch has just died tonight on the way home form work.
my JTD Facelift has covered 118K and drives spot on - until now....

car was driving fine - then all of a sudden was tricky to get into gear and the clutch pedal went hard, after a few miles softened again, then no cutch atall....

cant see any leaky oil under the car atall...

Has anyone had this happen before..? was it costly..?

Thanks

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hopefully I'm allowed to post this link .... I've never used them but prices look reasonable ...

Clutch and Gearbox for Alfa 156

I'm no mechanic and COULDN'T do this myself but as a guideline .....

Add a few hours to fit at say £40/hr

145 -- Part
200 -- Labour
----
20 -- Delivery
75 -- Vat
----

Doesn't seem too bad to me

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
7,045 Posts
as jwynn said you'll most likely need a new dual mass flywheel, pointless just doing the clutch IMO
You can't tell until you get the gearbox and clutch off, the DMF (duel mass flywheel) is not as weak as people make out, we have changed hundreds of these clutches and most of the time the flywheel is fine to go again

Ned

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Do you mean you have no drive when in gear (heavy slipping) or you can't disengage the clutch to get into gear ?

·
Vendor
45,829 Posts
It could just be a slave cylinder you need, if you are lucky. Be careful ordering one from the link above, V6 & JTD slave cylinders are not the same internally, different bore of the cylinder inside. They look the same externally. Found this out by fitting a V6 slave to my 1.9 16v diesel, funny noise when the clutch pedal was pressed all the way down, solved by fitting the proper slave.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
If he can't engage gears but still has drive then I'm guessing the master cylinder has gone. The initial hard feel was the seal dying after which it went soft due to the seal subsequently leaking making gear changes difficult.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Definitely get the hydraulics looked at first as the symptoms sound more hydraulic than mechanical to me. Mine was like a new clutch after just replacing the (disgustingly filthy) fluid, though yours sounds slightly more serious.

A

·
0 Posts
You can't tell until you get the gearbox and clutch off, the DMF (duel mass flywheel) is not as weak as people make out, we have changed hundreds of these clutches and most of the time the flywheel is fine to go again

Ned
Agreed thats my experience of it too.

A

·
0 Posts
I had this exact same problem with my 147 when it was just one year old. It turned out to be a tiny pin hole in the hose between the slave and master cylinder which was leaking out fluid and letting in air!
The dealer fitted 3 clutch kits before finally working out what the issue was. Your problem sounds master/slave cylinder issue or like what i had....a small hole in the hose.

C

·
0 Posts
Normally I'd agree with the last few posts but I think the bit where the OP describes the clutch pedal as going very hard doesn't really tie in with a failing slave cylinder.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts

Ned
i got my clutch changed locally for £350, no dmf required. 2yr warranty / 24k warranty on 1.9jtd m-jet 16v

·
Registered
822 Posts
Hi fellow Alfa Bods...

my clutch has just died tonight on the way home form work.
my JTD Facelift has covered 118K and drives spot on - until now....

car was driving fine - then all of a sudden was tricky to get into gear and the clutch pedal went hard, after a few miles softened again, then no cutch atall....

cant see any leaky oil under the car atall...

Has anyone had this happen before..? was it costly..?

Thanks
Could it be just a broken spring inside the master cylinder?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
UPDATE - Thanks guys for all your comments, I spoke to a local clutch independant and they suggested the master cylinder also....

The car has been taken away on a lorry and is still waiting investigation....

The spanners come out tomorrow - so will update you all further

Thanks again

BTW - been quoted a max of £900 if I need new clutch, DMFW and pedal assembly.....

Bad times... :-( And its flaming January!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts