Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

ive started to do a clutch change on my 147 jtd following a failure, which was caused by the clutch plate coming into contact with the gearbox oil seal carrier, hopefully the pictures attached show you what I mean, the top of the seal carrier is mushroomed from contacting the clutch plate.
the centre of the clutch plate broke free and spins freely meaning no drive.
I assume the added friction from the contact mentioned caused this.

so my question is, does anyone know what caused the contact? wrong clutch, assembled incorrectly or something else as I have exactly the same clutch kit waiting to go in, but I don't want to do it if it could fail again in the same way.

thanks Croftsy

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
just had a look at the fly wheel and it looks like the bolts have been rubbing on the clutch disk as well, so im thinking that the clutch was fitted the wrong way round, can anyone confirm which way the clutch plate should go , the longer side towards the engine or the gearbox?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Vendor
46,131 Posts
How long had the old clutch been in for?

Most of the valeo friction plates are stamped "cambio" on the side that is meant to face the gearbox. Although some just have that dab of yellow on them like in your photo. In the words of our technician Lewis "if you see yellow, you're a troubled fellow"

(as in, the yellow should face the engine, if its facing the gearbox its the wrong way round).

·
Vendor
46,131 Posts
Flywheel looks very hot-spotted too - if you grab two of the studs and alternatively pull/push them is there much side to side play?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info,

ive had the car about a year now, done about 15000 miles, im not sure when it was last done,

But it was installed the wrong way round what t*at put that in!

there doesn't seem to be any ply in the flywheel, it rotates a little but I think ths is normal (it doesn't rattle and returns when let go)

so my next question is where can I get a new oil seal carrier (gearbox side)?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cheers, although mines a 5 speed but I will give autolusso a ring in the morning to see if it fits (looks the same) or if they have one that will.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Thanks for the info,

ive had the car about a year now, done about 15000 miles, im not sure when it was last done,

But it was installed the wrong way round what t*at put that in!

there doesn't seem to be any ply in the flywheel, it rotates a little but I think ths is normal (it doesn't rattle and returns when let go)

so my next question is where can I get a new oil seal carrier (gearbox side)?
not been on for a few days......yes your pressure plate was put in the wrong way round !!

·
Registered
562 Posts
No that is the internal part number for the product on the web page. Luk part numbers are xxx xxxx xx or I think
It should be 624 3144 00 ? Was this the part number?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Someone that has no experience of these clutches will fit the centre plate on the "wrong " way round cos logic suggests it should be the same as fitting a "normal" clutch. Luk tend to have valeo parts in the box.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts