Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys ive been away wandering the desert of focii,golfs etc yawn yawn.the pull of the Alfa is too strong and im off to see a 156 2.4 jtd tomorrow. its on an x reg,190k. what price should i be paying and things to look for on these models?I've only had 1.8 t sparks previously.hope its a good one!just thinking of driving an alfa again is making my heart race!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi 2.4 jtd is a good car mines on 153000 and still good. ...
Things to look for are the usual suspects but cam belt and water pump standout also check suspension/thermostat/turbo hoses/egr valve/rear electric windows/corrosion to floor& cills.....the list goes on..as for value prices are all over the place but a nice example with full history recent cam belt etc could be up to £1200 rough cars with no history about £500...how does it drive any flat spots hesitation etc any smoke??? A good one will be great to own a bad one will be a nightmare! !!
I.m sure more knowledgeable people will be along shortly but that's my two pence worth. ....
Good luck

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just noticed your in Cornwall I work at Newquay airport if you want to see a half decent one before you go and look. ......Cheers

·
Registered
620 Posts
Good luck with the hunt!!

Just noticed your in Cornwall I work at Newquay airport if you want to see a half decent one before you go and look. ......Cheers
Newquay Airport, eh? I was on hols in Cornwall a few weeks back, and they were advertising flights in historic aircraft near Newquay when I was there. I was sorely tempted.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Driving in an old car is one thing mate but flying in an old plane no thanks! !!! If the car breaks you stop if the plane breaks you crash!!!!!!!!

G

·
Driving in an old car is one thing mate but flying in an old plane no thanks! !!! If the car breaks you stop if the plane breaks you crash!!!!!!!!
Ermmmm not exactly............. You scream like buggery then crash and remove the stick from either the center of your face of your ar23 :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cheers,i havent driven it yet but will be sure to check all things mentioned. Its going cheap (495), got a few months mot and 6 months tax.

·
Registered
62 Posts
That's cheap probably worth a punt but beware a cheap car can fast become an expensive one, maybe be better to buy a more expensive car that has less issues but until you've seen it you can't make an informed decision. ..

·
Registered
620 Posts
Very good advice. Wish I'd heeded it.

Bought my GT relatively cheap (£3.9k) and since then have spent well over £2k on getting it perfect.

And just today, slave cylinder decided to go on clutch.

Driving down to Autolusso on Fri morning and getting new clutch/slave cylinder installed. More money.

Sigh.

·
Registered
401 Posts
to be honest you can (and will) end up spending on any of them

at £495 - if nothing obvious and all seems ok, then i'd go for it

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well i bought it and v happy.more importantly,so is my gf,which is always a bonus!she wasn't too sure about the red leather but hey she'll get used to it! it's true u could spend a lot more on a car and still have problems.on the drive home the only faults I've detected are-
the drivers window switch pops out if u pull it too hard(giggity)
the wipers need replacing
the backlight for the mileometer has gone

The nsr window doesn't work

can't complain!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
and just realised today that its a Veloce, full red leather,lower than standard,carbon style dash-centre,no sunroof.am i right?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts