Alfa Romeo Forum banner

641 - 652 of 652 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #641
Problem finally found - it was a clogged catalyser...

Yesterday i have removed the old euro4 cat and welded an euro3 cat (from a 1.9 JTD 8v 80/115hp) in.

Spool is now like without exhaust and airquantity raises in low revs. Look into the compare-excel sheet.
In high revs is this small euro3 cat still a restriction but way better than the clogged euro4 cat.

Normally you can see light trough a catalyser. Best test is a flashlight. But the euro4 cat was nearly complete dark. Only trough a few cells i saw the light.
Cells are the same but the euro4 cat is 5 to 10cm longer then the euro3 cat.

Now i'm searching for a bigger cat :)

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
I would recommend magnaflow racing 200cell cat, you can put it in place of the existing one and they are not expensive

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #643
Not possible in germany... I need a cat which looks like stock or with ECE sign.

At moment part number seems 55185208 the best solution. Its from a Alfa Romeo 156 2.4 JTDm with 175hp
I'm waiting for informations about the diameter.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #645
The problem is, i need a cat that is approved for exactly my car. If its not approved, its not allowed and i will fail the TÜV. Or in a police control, they can confiscate the car because i have broken the emission law.

And with cat that look like stock (like the 156 cat) i have no problems. Its also not allowed, but not think "there is something wrong".

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #647 (Edited)
Big in step germany: the frount mounted intercooler is approved :D

https://www.danverclan.de/media/pics/stilo/newStilo/new_stilo_381.jpg

Translation: "P, T, U* unchanged with intercooler dimension LxWxH: 640x235x60mm, manufactor:Darkside"
P = ccm³ and power
T = vmax
U = idle and drive noise

Now when i came in a police control, they see "oh thats approved" and all is fine.

And about the exhaust i have a new idea:
- catalyser from Alfa 166 2.4 JTD 55183719
- middle silencer from Fiat Ducato 94 with 2.5 diesel engine 7710074

·
Registered
571 Posts
Big step germany: the frount mounted intercooler is approved :D

https://www.danverclan.de/media/pics/stilo/newStilo/new_stilo_381.jpg

Translation: "P, T, U* unchanged with intercooler dimension LxWxH: 640x235x60mm, manufacturer:Darkside"
P = ccm³ and power
T = vmax
U = idle and drive noise

Now when i came in a police control, they see "oh that's approved" and all is fine.

And about the exhaust i have a new idea:
- catalyser from Alfa 166 2.4 JTD 55183719
- middle silencer from Fiat Ducato 94 with 2.5 diesel engine 7710074
Good to know that they cannot measure power :smokin:

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #649
Hehe, yes :) normally you need a before an after dyno test. Some inspectors also want a big exhaust gas emission test (>1500 EUR).

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #650
So, i have plan and bought the first parts.

Front pipe came in 2,5"
stock cat out and cat from 2.4 JTDm 20v 175hp Alfa 166 in
stock middle silencer out and bigger middle silencer from 2.5D Dutaco (1990-1994) in

Connection before cat and behind middle silencer with v-band clamp. So i can easily install a straight pipe, when i want.
After middle silencer stock exhaust diamenter.
muffler is freeflow.

Here some pictures of the parts.

The bigger middle silencer has 56mm innerdiameter connection pipes. The inside perforated pipe has a bigger diameter. Stock middle silencer has 52mm inner diameter.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,728 Posts
This looks like it could work out Chris! Middle silencer is basically a performance freeflow one in a stock appearance. Only if I was you, I tried to maintain this 56mm inner diameter of the middle silencer up to the rear muffler.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #652
This looks like it could work out Chris! Middle silencer is basically a performance freeflow one in a stock appearance. Only if I was you, I tried to maintain this 56mm inner diameter of the middle silencer up to the rear muffler.
I have measured the perforated pipe inside the middle silencer. It has 61mm inner diameter. That fits perfect i a 2,5" exhaust. Ducato diesel from 1990 - old but gold 😂

And about the exhaust diameter. I can play a little bit. This is why i want to use v-band clamps.

641 - 652 of 652 Posts