Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Not a huge difference. My 10V was in a 156 and the 20V is in a 159 both were / are remapped. I think the 159 exhaust, even with DPF removed mutes it slightly.

I think the 10V, in the 156, had a more open exhaust and the power is lower in the rev range but the 20V revs out so they tend to operate in slightly different rpm ranges and there is some sound difference due to that but not a lot in it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
well i ve got a 10v, i have to say sounds brilliant, but i cant compare to the 20v, because ive never heard one, but 20v's are GM engines ? and alot newer so, the 20v maybe toned down more than the earlier 10v engines that alfa made :)

·
Registered
822 Posts
20Vs are derivation of the 10V engine with an extra camshaft and 10 valves. Otherwise very similar. As said above, my mate had a 10V and I have a 20V. I drove them back to back and the noise is pretty much the same.....

Keith

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I believe that in all guises the 2.4 is Alfa's engine and also used by Saab and Volvo.

The 1.9 is a GM also used by Alfa, Volvo and Saab but Alfa use a different cylinder head for more power.

Or that is my current understanding.

·
Vendor
45,804 Posts
I believe that in all guises the 2.4 is Alfa's engine and also used by Saab and Volvo.

The 1.9 is a GM also used by Alfa, Volvo and Saab but Alfa use a different cylinder head for more power.

Volvo's 2.4 5cylinder engine is its own design, totally unrelated to Fiat/Alfas.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Pud: Thank you. I have actually seen a 2.4 Volvo albeit briefly and it does look quite a lot different so I just assumed Volvo had used a different head and ancillaries.

K

·
0 Posts

isn't the 1.9 a fiat engine too?

had one in an x reg 2000 punto jtd that is the same as the alfa version. vauxhall at the time weren't using it, but do now....

pretty sure FPT and one other (merc?) were the pioneers of the common rail stuff first seen in the 156's
vauxhall just bought the engines, or did a deal more like when the jts in 2.2 and 3.2 came in.

incedentally my mate had a new vectra sri 150 2.2 when it was quite new, had timing chain trouble back then too :rolleyes: as in it snapped , twice :lol:
first time they repaired it under warranty.
2nd time he just scrapped the car :D

M

·
0 Posts
Err I had read that fiats development people came up with the common rail and multijet stuff then it went to Bosch to be manufactured. or was that just multijet?

K

·
0 Posts
Err I had read that fiats development people came up with the common rail and multijet stuff then it went to Bosch to be manufactured. or was that just multijet?
yep, as i said FPT

Fiat Powertrain Technologies ;)

they developed it way before vauxhall ogt anything on their cars, they were still using the old isuzu 1.7's. still do in some cases....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts