Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi not been posting for a while just got home and noticed a real bad whine especially in 3rd gear.
i believe its a c635 or similar from memory and not m32
in neutral all ok
clutch i and coasting all ok
1st and second no whine
3rd gear real bad whine
4th not so bad
5th and 6th didnt get into to test but didnt notice on motorway speeds this morning which would have been 5th and 6th for sure.
any thoughts welcome , sounds like a bearing but not sure where 3rd is in layout ie top bearing aka m32 4th ?
thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hi not been posting for a while just got home and noticed a real bad whine especially in 3rd gear.
i believe its a c635 or similar from memory and not m32
in neutral all ok
clutch i and coasting all ok
1st and second no whine
3rd gear real bad whine
4th not so bad
5th and 6th didnt get into to test but didnt notice on motorway speeds this morning which would have been 5th and 6th for sure.
any thoughts welcome , sounds like a bearing but not sure where 3rd is in layout ie top bearing aka m32 4th ?
thanks in advance
oops on investigation could be c630

·
Registered
675 Posts
They changed with the lifetime of the gearbox some parts inside, because the failed from time to time.

Buy a used C630 gearbox from a Fiat Bravo 198. Its the same gearbox, but with modified internals.

I read about such a 3rd gear whining from an Alfa GT and the owner didn't repair it. I dont know how does it ended, but my last information was, he drove over 75,000miles with the noise and no issue.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks sort of relief
Plan tonight to add another bottle of mt90 i found in garage and see how it goes.
As long as doesnt end in gearbox explosion i will try to live with noise and avoid 3rd for now.
Uneconomical repair for me value of car not worth a gearbox swap.

·
Registered
98 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
He drive a Fiat Stilo 1.9 JTDm Multijet 16v and this car have a C630 gearbox. Its inside the same gearbox as in Alfa 147 and Alfa GT.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Strange ? Put almost a litre of mt90 in thinking be overflowing
Not even on dipstick ?
Wheres all my oil gone
Wet and oily round belhousing bottom
Looked where i park and see signs of oil in 1 patch but new never lost a drop .

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will get more oil (probably whats cheapest )and have cleaned all around gearbox and diff so easier to spot leakage anywhere.
didnt get any visable drips with the first litre , it was last changed by me in nov 2014 so hopefully when topped up will last a bit longer.
didnt really do many miles 3 or since heard whine so who knows may have saved it

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well looked under car tiny drips if that , bought some more oil ,moved car to jack up and by time i got axle stands under it there was a fair size puddle under it. dripping off bottom of bellhousing so suspect input shaft seal ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts