Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following a broken cambelt and 52K miles, ive just been told it will cost around £1500 +vat to have a replacement head fitted.
Does this sound reasonable?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi,
Sorry to hear about your failed cambelt. Please see the thread below.
I'm not sure you need the head replaced but for certain you need the help of an indi expert.
At your mileage it sends shivers down the spine if the failure has not been caused by a water pump failure. Are we going to see the cambelt replacement intervals fall in line with the petrol engines?

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-159/60652-jtd-cambelts.html

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have seen this thread and mentioned the fact that these engines might not bend the valves to the garage. Their response was that they couldn't guarantee the repair as they have had an experience of a customers car apprearing to be OK (no bent valves) dropping the head of a valve several hundred miles later.
Incidently the belt looked like new, they haven't fully stripped it down yet so I don't know whether it was caused by the tensioner or water pump or the belf itself.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I don't know what the various repair options are but surely your present head with new valves etc must be less the £1500.
My belt was a complete mess from running against a seized water pump.

The dealer told me this morning that no engine is in sight and after a tense call to Alfa HQ they don't know where the ruddy engine is.

All this makes me wish you all the very best in your efforts.

"may your force be luckier than mine"

Nick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts