Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i do the turbo swap on my GT , is there anything specific i need to look at ? i know i need , turbo , clean out all pipe work and intercooler but i know on some engines (ford) the oil feed pick up needs to be renewed , so any hints / tips on doing this job before i start collecting the bits required ?
thanks in advance folks

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
evening bump !!! ive found a "must do" list for the 2.4 after much searching but nothing on the 1.9jtd unit

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have just had the turbo done on my 156 jtd. The garage recommended a turbo oil feed pipe which seems to be a main dealer only part. I think it was about £70 or £80, I was not impressed!!!!

When I spoke to Alfa they also recommended the bolts for the pipe, they were about £18 each, two were needed. Again not impressed and told them I would make do with the originals.

I think that was it for the essentials.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
As has been said, change the oil feed pipe and associated copper washers and also consider a new banjo bolt - IIRC they have a filter in them, or at least clean it very carefully, using carb cleaner / various other solvents.

You have to take it off with the exhaust manifold and split the turbo from the manifold out of the car.

The head / manifold gasket is the same as the 16v twin spark.

I changed the turbo on my 156 recently - pics in my progress thread (page 2) - see sig below.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just had a read through your thread pal , will defo make sure all pipes etc are mint on rebuild pal
cheers
si

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I've just done this after a turbo check and clean as part of head replacement thanks to metal swirl flap detachment. Ned at Autolusso said a new oil feed pipe isn't needed. It's a rigid steel pipe so does't deteriorate and can be cleaned. He did say though to remove the gauze filter from the banjo bolt. The mesh is very fine and blocks easily, killing the turbo instead of protecting it. It's reluctant to come out, I had to drill out the plastic body. Aside from that, new copper washers are all you need.

Trickiest part is the ferociously sprung V-band clamp that secures the front cat to the turbo. Needs a deep 16mm socket to undo, then springing it open - I used tubes over the ends, but a threaded stud with nuts on the inside is more sophisticated. N b putting it back is impossible unless opened up enough, so the tangs are parallel.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
great stuff pal , exactly the info I was after ! ive got a turbo en route ( thanks joe ) so its just a clean up and rebuild and all should be well
si

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Trickiest part is the ferociously sprung V-band clamp that secures the front cat to the turbo. Needs a deep 16mm socket to undo, then springing it open - I used tubes over the ends, but a threaded stud with nuts on the inside is more sophisticated. N b putting it back is impossible unless opened up enough, so the tangs are parallel.
Horrible clamp indeed....

I followed Paul from Autolusso Bournemouth's advice yesterday... Open the band right up with a bench vice, then use fat zip-ties on the stud to hold it open whilst you get it into position. Snip the ties off when it's in the right place, and then nip it up tight :thumbup:

Doesn't make positioning that bl**dy gasket any easier though...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts