Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 2 yrs of owning my beloved Giulia, it's time for a project topic.

So, Chris, finally it is here! ;)

In the summer of 2019 I decided to look for a new Alfa, after owning the 147 JTD GTB for almost 10 years. With the prices of the Giulia diesels dropping quickly then, I found a nice one (Nero Vulcano and tabacco leather interior) in Germany which I’ve imported. It has the 2.2 AE 180 hp engine, so with watercooled charge air cooler from the 210 Veloce. Also it has the bulletproof ZF8HP50 auto box.
The Giulia was fairly quick from the beginning, and when I started to make some datalogs I found out the car already had a software tune, lifting the power to ~240 hp / 520 Nm. Not too bad, so I drove it with this output for about a year.

I started with the exhaust, the stock rear silencer was replaced with a Ragazzon 2x 90mm backbox. Also a Veloce style diffuser was added. Difference in sound was too small for my likings, so later I removed the backbox and mounted Ragazzon rear pipes without silencers (2.0 T) with a connection diameter of 76mm. (JTD 70mm) I also replaced the centre pipe with the Ragazzon 2.0 T, modified the front flange so it fits the flange of the DPF. So now the complete exhaust was 76mm, except for the front DPF.

I also have a 80mm downpipe with 200 cell cat, but didn’t test it just yet. For now, let’s keep the exhaust gases nice and clean. For sure, black smoke from a Giulia is a no go for me.

Regarding the fuel system hardware, there’s not much to modify. Injectors are huge already, HP pump is strong, delivering a railpressure of 2000 bar in stock form.

Air intake system looks very nice as well, (apart from an extra throttlevalve and EGR feed) with the 80mm MAF integrated in the airbox and with a cold air feed. Map sensor is 4 bar from factory.

A more important part to look at is the turbo. Stock is a Garrett GTD1752MVKR. Small wheels but quite some potential. This turbo can deliver 3200+ mbar of boost, mainly because the ballbearing cartridge tolerates higher turbo rpm compared to the journal bearing units.
We will look at upgrade options later in the topic.

Further, I did two “must have” mods for the Giulia with AT8, adding shifting paddles and racemode, for some oldschool drifting fun!

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle
Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Car Hood
Car Vehicle Speedometer Motor vehicle Steering part
Car Vehicle Speedometer White Motor vehicle

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Car
Automotive exhaust Nickel Auto part Gun accessory Metal
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Rim Gas
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive air manifold Automotive exterior Automotive design

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Shortly after owning the Giulia, I purchased a used turbo to see what can be done. Stock compressor wheel is a very nice billet piece, full blade and with a titaniumcoloured coating.
Turbinewheel is a tiny GT17, and this will sooner or later form a restriction because of the high backpressure. GTD VNT cartridge is nicely formed in one assembly, but very tight around the turbine wheel, so unfortenately no space to put a bigger wheel without having to replace the VNT cartridge as well. As a first plug&play upgrade turbo, I had one build with full blade 56mm billet compressor wheel and turbine cutback.

Automotive tire Rim Spoke Gas Circle
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Machine Metal
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Gas
Silver Circle Metal Font Jewellery
Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Car Automotive design
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive air manifold Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
With the upgrade turbo mounted and same software, there was only a minor difference in turbo spool noticed. This week I uploaded the latest tune with higher boost. Overall it looks quite well, with airmass increasing as it should. As fueling isnt increased a lot (maximum 121 mm3) I see AFR increasing to 17-18 in midrange (stock hardware tune 15-16 AFR), offering nice headroom to add WMI injection. This will be the next step.
Comparing three datalogs of boost & airflow, stock hardware tune, maxed out tune with stock turbo and tune with upgrade turbo.

Font Screenshot Pattern Parallel Number
Font Handwriting Screenshot Number Pattern
Font Pattern Number
Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel

·
Registered
411 Posts
Nice project, didn't realize you already started upgrading the Giulia engine.
Will become a very powerful diesel!

Reactions: JS JTD

·
Registered
973 Posts
Thanks, Joel :);)

Very nice car and project!

I'm a little bit confused about the airflow numbers. It looks low with stock turbo compared to the higher boost values. Maybe ambient related?

3196rpm // 1469mg/i with 3156mbar
compared to
3164rpm // 1710mg/i with 3332mbar
or
3240rom // 1767mg/i with 3426mbar

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Joel :);)

Very nice car and project!

I'm a little bit confused about the airflow numbers. It looks low with stock turbo compared to the higher boost values. Maybe ambient related?

3196rpm // 1469mg/i with 3156mbar
compared to
3164rpm // 1710mg/i with 3332mbar
or
3240rom // 1767mg/i with 3426mbar
Thanks Chris,

Yes, this could be ambient related, I had a look in my logs and found another one that might be more representative. If we want to compare properly, I should add air intake temp and atmospheric pressure in the logs as well.

Font Pattern Rectangle Screenshot Symmetry

·
Registered
976 Posts
Oooh, very nice to see you working on a Giulia JS!

Are you aiming to have this thing munching GTAs just like the 147? :p (totally kidding, i dont think a 2.2 diesel will be able to catch that V6 turbo, no matter the mods)

Ill keep an eye out for abnormally fast black Giulias on the motorways :p

·
Registered
411 Posts
Oooh, very nice to see you working on a Giulia JS!

Are you aiming to have this thing munching GTAs just like the 147? :p (totally kidding, i dont think a 2.2 diesel will be able to catch that V6 turbo, no matter the mods)

Ill keep an eye out for abnormally fast black Giulias on the motorways :p
LOL he just had my GTA in his workshop, maybe we should go out for a comparison drive.
GTA does not have a turbo; all the speed comes from the famous Busso V6 engine. But it will have difficult time trying to keep up with a turbo-engined auto-shifting Giulia from standstill, however I expect at +200 km/u speeds the GTA will pull away

Reactions: JS JTD

·
Registered
411 Posts
@ArieB i think @vitorio mean not the Alfa 147 GTA but the Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Ah ok, clear, logical.

That said: I was on a (short and small) circuit yesterday for a driver's course, and a Giulia Q who was there had difficult times keeping ahead of a tuned Giulia 4WD 2.0t in damp conditions - 4WD paid of!
But the powerslides of the Q were of course real fun.

(and my GTA in which I showed up there: constantly searching for grip, understeer all over the place in damp, and after a few rounds also on dry asphalt. Bit worn tires, too much weight in the nose, FWD - even Q2 couldn't manage. Yes, ASR was turned off, but I had no chance in keeping up with any of the Giulia's.
That is, apart from the beautiful Busso sound!!)

·
Registered
976 Posts
@ArieB Yeah i kinda fumbled my words on that post, i know that JS tuned his diesel 147 into a 147 GTA beater, at least in terms of power and torque (no idea of what the top speed is, might be gearbox limited), so i was wondering if he has set himself the goal of beating Giulia QV with his tuned JTD (which i realise is probably impossible, just as the 147 would have no shot against a properly turbo-ed GTA)

@JS JTD QV-chasing aside, do you have a power-target in mind for this project?

EDIT: just checked used Giulias, 17K for a 150hp diesel with 100K miles and hubcaps... Still a bit pricey for my taste, but i love how they tuned the thing, despite "only" 150hp it does 0-60 is 8 secs with a 1350kg curb weight, because it still has a massive 400NM of torque, although looking at some dyno graphs, they did massacre the torque-plateau to keep it under 150hp

1 - 15 of 15 Posts