Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it finally started to behave normally before it all went up **** creek. This morning the car just completely died. Here are the symptoms:

car goes into gear without the clutch
There was severe vibration after i had the cv joints done
After the car lost either the gearbox or the DMF it makes strange crunching noises when you start the car, but disappear when you engage the clutch but returns when you put into gear
before the part in question blew up it was making a clonking noise when releasing the clutch harshly or without accelerating
To give you the best description of it, the car sounds like Jeremys 75 in that Top Gear episode except he was able to put it into gear and drive.
Ah I forgot that I was able to start the car whilst it was in gear without using the clutch, it only moved slightly but didnt stall (I did this as Im fully convinced its the gearbox)
Recently, last month or so, it became very difficult especially in traffic to get it out of gear with the engine warm and sometimes difficult to put it into 1st when in traffic.

so gearbox or DMF? Clutch was changed in January and the DMF was deemed in VGC. I love my Alfa and the only way she is being got rid of is when she is totalled :)

·
Vendor
45,756 Posts
Clutch, gearbox or diff.. Either way I think the box will have to come off again.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cant seem to find diffs anywhere for sale, stupid question but are they part of the gearbox or its a whole different thing? Like if i buy a new gearbox, would the diff be part of it?

·
Vendor
45,756 Posts
Its part of the gearbox but can be replaced seperately - although if it has gone, then just replacing the gearbox in its entirety would be a better option.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Pud, after watching many youtube videos and that top gear episode i mentioned i can deduce that it is infact the diff that has blown. For now it will have to wait until after the new year so im reduce to driving the Tempra until then :( its not dull but i just prefer my bella. Is there anything else i may want to replace seeing as the box is being changed?

·
Vendor
45,756 Posts
Are you sure? You should have no noises with the clutch pedal pressed down, but you may get some grinding noises with the clutch pedal up even if the car is not in gear.

If you do definitely need to change the gearbox then you should think about changing the clutch & flywheel. If you want to go down the solid flywheel route instead of a DMF then drop me a line.

Worth changing front anti-roll bar at the same time if you are doing the gearbox as you have to drop the subframe to change the box, front arb is 10 minute job to change at this point.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
with the clutch down and not in gear it doesnt produce any noise but when you go to put it into gear there is a slight crunching sound half way and then its more or less quite until you release the clutch. Ill check out the ARB and maybe fit the GTA one for better handling. As for the clutch and DMF im going to wait until the car is taken apart before i jump into that bowl of crap. Cheers for the advise with the dmf if it has gone bad ill drop you a PM but it will be after xmas. No oil came out of the car from what i could see when the thing finally caved in - from other threads this is a bit of good news i guess. Im going to change the whole gearbox as i will source a refurb one from poland thanks to my polish missus as there with a guarantee they want 110e for the whole gearbox excluding sending costs. great deal i believe

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Mate I told you not to say anything :( I'm with Dan(pud) on the diagnosis mate :(

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah im fully convinced its the diff - the box was just acting too strange before it with it not being able to engage gear properly and the harsh vibrations when accelerating :( just wish it had happened after xmas but thats life. I found a nice reconditioned box in Europe with a guarantee, without shipping it amounts to 100e so shipping would be another 50-70e i imagine plus the labour so im looking at a bill of roughly 400-500e which im not too bad with considering it would be a hell of a lot more here, probably looking at well over a 1000! At least i know that the diff is part of the box so all i need is a new box. Gonna follow Puds advise and do the ARB aswell, i guess i should change the bushes again seeing as its a very easy job once the box is off.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just one question, will all ARBS and bushes fit every 156 model? I.e. the ARB from a 1.6 will be the same as the 2.4?

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
It will fit however the sizes are differnt depending on the car. I believe the 1.6 is different to the 2.4 but not fully sure. It's defo different to the GTA

·
Vendor
45,756 Posts
All the ARBs are the same shape/size, its just the diameter (and therefore the stiffness) that differs.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
All the ARBs are the same shape/size, its just the diameter (and therefore the stiffness) that differs.
sorry dan. By size I meant diameter :)

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
:rolleyes: sod off you two :lol:

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is the gearbox im going to order shortly, can someone tell me where the hell the diff is located in the gearbox? Google just shows me american cars that seem to have them located within the axle.

Alfa Romeo 156 2.4 JTD SKRZYNIA BIEGÓW 5 1.9 TDI (1964037332) - Aukcje internetowe Allegro

I dont want to sound stupid but I just want to be 100% sure that if the diff is gone then rather than changing the diff i may aswell just change the box and be done with it?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts