Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having had a number of Italian cars over the years the family stable has recently been a Giulia (now replaced by a Stelvio... more baby and dog friendly!) and a 2000 GTV and Spider. However my eyes have always been scanning Autotrader for 4C's but until recently they've not been within reach. I test drove one last year and couldn't really compare the car I drove to the reviews I'd read.. it was far better than what I was lead to expect based on "experts" opinion.

Either way.. fast forward 18 months and a lovely Competizione Red 4C is now sitting on my drive way! All the cars I've owned have been bought with the intention of being driven, I'm not a collector and have no intention of keeping it locked away and only brought out on sunny weekends 2 months of the year. This is essentially my daily driver until the snow/salt makes it a "no no".

Impressions so far?... It's easy to drive and the handling doesn't seem anywhere as "edgy" as feared without the AlfaWorks shims (though I have a nagging suspicion it may have had them as it has an AlfaWorks exhaust, however AlfaWorks have no record of working on this car..). It's fast, but not in a scary way.. feels planted and secure. No issues at all with the "width".. it feels like a small 2 seat sports car and when parked in a space at work it looks like one too. The best thing is that it feels "special" and looks like nothing else on the road... a Porsche owner would absolutely hate it! It also gets positive comments from people wherever I go.

This one is most definitely a keeper.. and I've never said that about any car I've owned before!

Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
The 4C is good fun, I've had mine just over five years and it's still very much a 'head turner'. Whenever I stop it always attracts a crowd of people eager to know what it is, never had a negative response about it, it just makes people happy to witness.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
That’s great feedback. I love the idea of a 4c but have been put off by reports that it is wide, impractical and too low for speed bumps!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That’s great feedback. I love the idea of a 4c but have been put off by reports that it is wide, impractical and too low for speed bumps!
Maybe it's wide for a "compact" and light weight 2 seater... but it's far from "wide".. it's certainly narrower than my Stelvio and that's based on the Giulia "3 series rival".. so.. if you can drive a normal saloon size car somewhere then the 4C will be no problem.

Impractical?...well.. it's a 2 seats sports car not a family estate! The boot can take a small over night bag or a few bags of grocery shopping.. and I can get a child seat in for my kids, so it does everything needed of a daily "toy".

Speed bumps.. go slow enough and it's fine.. most times I go with one side aimed at the middle of the hump to get as much clearance as possible.. but I've seen lowered BMW's and VW's have bigger issues! Again it's a sports car so it's never going to fly over them with ease...

So I think what I'm trying to say is, that in the bounds of a simple light weight sports car it's fine and normal day to day duties and obstacles are no problem. It's better than the "expert" reviews would lead you to believe, however it won't however replace your main car...

Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 4C is good fun, I've had mine just over five years and it's still very much a 'head turner'. Whenever I stop it always attracts a crowd of people eager to know what it is, never had a negative response about it, it just makes people happy to witness.
It's essentially a baby Ferrari without the image problem! Win.. win...

Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like I need to take a test drive then, before I get too old to get in one :rofl:
Careful.. it gets expensive doing that... I had a go in one last year out of "curiosity"...

.... got home to the wife saying "I HAVE TO GET ONE OF THESE!!"...

There goes the kids inheritance!

Mark

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Good point! I'm a bit impetuous like that. I know all the advice - take your time, buy with the head not the heart, take someone with you etc etc.

I bought the first V6 Spider I saw despite it being a bit of a mess, as it sounded awesome and went like the proverbial off the shovel!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Having had a number of Italian cars over the years the family stable has recently been a Giulia (now replaced by a Stelvio... more baby and dog friendly!) and a 2000 GTV and Spider. However my eyes have always been scanning Autotrader for 4C's but until recently they've not been within reach. I test drove one last year and couldn't really compare the car I drove to the reviews I'd read.. it was far better than what I was lead to expect based on "experts" opinion.

Either way.. fast forward 18 months and a lovely Competizione Red 4C is now sitting on my drive way! All the cars I've owned have been bought with the intention of being driven, I'm not a collector and have no intention of keeping it locked away and only brought out on sunny weekends 2 months of the year. This is essentially my daily driver until the snow/salt makes it a "no no".

Impressions so far?... It's easy to drive and the handling doesn't seem anywhere as "edgy" as feared without the AlfaWorks shims (though I have a nagging suspicion it may have had them as it has an AlfaWorks exhaust, however AlfaWorks have no record of working on this car..). It's fast, but not in a scary way.. feels planted and secure. No issues at all with the "width".. it feels like a small 2 seat sports car and when parked in a space at work it looks like one too. The best thing is that it feels "special" and looks like nothing else on the road... a Porsche owner would absolutely hate it! It also gets positive comments from people wherever I go.

This one is most definitely a keeper.. and I've never said that about any car I've owned before!

Mark
Glad you found the 4C is very much not like the press has presented it once a proper alignment is made. It is a gem of a car and still puts a smile on my face on any drive....Add some uniball bushes to the rear suspension arms in place of the rubber ones and you’ll be amazed at how much confidence it gives you in the rear end. I hope you have a long and happy relationship with her.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts