Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, it's advertising, and yes, I'm doing free work for the company by sharing this extended commercial, but it really is beautiful (even if it exists in a world where time seems to run in a manner that's completely different from what normal people typically experience.) The automotive content is why I'm posting it on AO.

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had no idea it was a family-owned car. To be honest, I wasn't even sure it was real. I thought it might be reproduction. I mean it is a commercial, after all.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I had no idea it was a family-owned car. To be honest, I wasn't even sure it was real. I thought it might be reproduction. I mean it is a commercial, after all.
This car was owned by Rob Walker, who raced it at Le Mans in the thirties. There's an unconfirmed story about it crossing borders with watches concealed in the mechanical parts. This was back in the day when there were restrictions on taking currency from one country to another, always a problem for racing teams pre-EU.

Rob Walker achieved greater fame as Stirling Moss's entrant in later years. Walker's Scottish blue cars, with white stripe round the nose, won all manner of things with Moss and sometimes Trintignant on board. I was present at Walker's last F1 victory, at Brands Hatch in 1968 when Jo Siffert won. It was the last win for a private entrant in F1.

Either this car or an identical one used to race at Vintage Sports Car Club meetings at Silverstone in the eighties or nineties, a lovely, smooth-sounding machine. Sadly, my programmes are scattered in the loft so I can't confirm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts