Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to have to pass on news of the death of John Peel, veteran BBC broadcaster and Alfa Romeo owner. He apparently died while on holiday in Cuzco, Peru.

Regards

Joe

This is the early Reuters report:

13:59 26Oct2004 Veteran British broadcaster John Peel dies in Peru
LIMA, Peru, Oct 26 (Reuters) - Veteran British disc jockey and broadcaster John Peel has died in Peru while on holiday in the ancient Inca city of Cuzco, his employer the British Broadcasting Corporation and the British embassy said on Tuesday.
"He passed away. We don't have any details. We received a phone call at 4 a.m. from his brother to inform us," said Jonathan Clare, an embassy official in Lima.
The BBC in London said Peel was on a working holiday in Cuzco with his wife, Sheila. There was no other comment from the BBC.
Peel, born in 1939, was one of Britain's original pirate radio disc jockeys in the 1960s, broadcasting from ships anchored just outside British waters that won huge followings. Peel was his assumed "pirate" name.
In the late 1970s he championed punk rock to the consternation of many of his radio contemporaries who were still playing rock supergroups -- and were convinced the new music fad would never had any real impact.
Peel -- an authority on independent music -- was honoured as an Order of the British Empire.
REUTERS

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Indeed, he was a 147 driver. Willing to be corrected but I think it was a GTA. I'm also pretty sure I read somewhere that he had previously owned other Alfas. Best regards.

Joe

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Very sad news. Will miss his programmes and his down to earth humour. :( :(

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I really enjoyed his series on British classic cars he did some time back. He was a man who spoke his mind which was refreshing in these days of politically correct crap. :(

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
I don't know who you're atlking about but from what you all say it's a big lost. Pity... :(

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Who's going to cancel out the likes of Waterman and Cowell now?

D

·
0 Posts
THROTTLEMAN said:
I don't know who you're atlking about but from what you all say it's a big lost. Pity... :(
He was one of the few mainstream radio DJs who was in it for the music and not the fame and money.

One of the first groups he brought to our attention was the Small Faces and he went on to be a major force in bringing 70's and 80's indie rock to the mainstream. Without him we may never have heard of Joy Division/New Order, The Smiths or The Cure.

He was loved and respected by his peers and musicians right up to end. When BBC Radio 1 got rid of all the 'old' DJs in the mid 90's, he was the only one spared I believe.

John was an icon of musical integrity and will be sorely missed.

Marc

·
Registered
173 Posts
I was fortunate enough to work with John earlier this year on a commercial to encourage blood doners. He merely had to recount how his wife Sheila had received blood during the birth of there son many years ago. He got so choked up, he had to keep apologising and was convinced we all thought he was really daft. Truth was he was so emotional we were all fighting back the tears behind the camera with him.

I wish his wife and son could have seen it.

Big man with a big heart.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I heard this on the news after it happened. Very sad. I am an avid Radio 4 listener, have been for a number of years (which is strange, seeing as I am Irish), however always loved to hear Home Truths on a Monday night. I also used to hear his own radio show on the World Service, however he had such an eclectic taste in music it was difficult to follow sometimes. However he did do a Session with one of my favourite bands, a Danish group called Mercyful Fate back in the early 1980's, so deserves all of our respect. R.I.P.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts