Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1991 Cloverleaf 164, forever to be known as Joe's car in tribute to it's first owner and it is NOT for sale.

Left for France on 15 June, on to Luxembourg a week later to join up with the Dutch Alfa club SCARB, then to Colmar, across Switzerland, Bolsano via the Dolomite mountain passes, on to Lake Maggiore and eventually home. 2800 miles with no problems at all! Well OK, I did manage to fry the power steering pump racing other Alfas up and down mountain passes but, I must take all of the blame for that. Thank you MOBITECH for your care and attention.

This was a wonderful trip that we will remember always. The generosity, friendship and organisation provided by SCARB and 75 other participant car teams was magnificent.

So get out there and buy a 164........it would not have been the same in the 166.

See you at National Alfa Day, Chatham Dockyard, 11 August.

·
Registered
102 Posts
.....it would not have been the same in the 166.

can you list the plus points of the 164 over the 166?
164 is a B-road Bomber confident and capable to be all the car you'll ever need and is a timeless design which hides its full size and is probably one of the better FWD chassis around.

166 is a Motoway Cruiser and general Mafia inspired driving. Beautiful certainly but will not be the design classic the 164 is, too many droopy ends.

IMHO the earlier the 164 you get the better, early 12v's are indestructible unless you're a *** and very easy and satisfying to work on when they do have a tantrum. Blisteringly quick they ain't but keep the revs up and maintain pace and it feels alive and poised more so than any german rival of its time.

I don't dislike the 166 in any way shape or form, in fact I plan to get one to use this winter when my 164 goes in to hibernation.

·
Registered
102 Posts
1991 Cloverleaf 164, forever to be known as Joe's car in tribute to it's first owner and it is NOT for sale.

Left for France on 15 June, on to Luxembourg a week later to join up with the Dutch Alfa club SCARB, then to Colmar, across Switzerland, Bolsano via the Dolomite mountain passes, on to Lake Maggiore and eventually home. 2800 miles with no problems at all! Well OK, I did manage to fry the power steering pump racing other Alfas up and down mountain passes but, I must take all of the blame for that. Thank you MOBITECH for your care and attention.

This was a wonderful trip that we will remember always. The generosity, friendship and organisation provided by SCARB and 75 other participant car teams was magnificent.

So get out there and buy a 164........it would not have been the same in the 166.

See you at National Alfa Day, Chatham Dockyard, 11 August.
Is the NAD a AROC member gig only? If not I'll bring my 6er if so I'll get a ride with someone who is. Don't see many Alfas in Margate

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
yes thanks for that the 164 certainly was more popular in the UK over the 166 - well I have the 156 V6 for doing the Kent roads with bends etc - great fun.
The 166 is my extra extravagance. I knew I shouldn't buy it (as my wife has a 2.4 JTD sportwagon for motorways) but I wanted to buy it - and so I did. and I know I should really sell it - but I don't want to so I won't! No I count it as an investment - even if the return is worse than a very dodgy ISA - it certainly is nowhere near as boring as numbers on bits of paper!
Yeah there is just something about driving a 166 - how every other car is a BMW, Merc, Audi or Range Rover - even quite a few Saabs about.. I've only once ever seen a 166! Come to think of it, I've only ever seen about half a dozen 164's in Kent.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The pros and cons of the 164 v 166 have been discussed exhaustively on this forum. My own view in simple terms: the 166 is a fine machine - makes you feel smug, the 164 is an Alfa Romeo with heart and soul - makes you smile.

NAD is Aroc organised. Open to all with ticket prices per person on the day:
Members £10.00
Non members driving an Alfa £11.50
Rest of the world £17.50

It will be good to see a few 164's at NAD. We seem to be a tiny minority although most Alfisti seem to have owned one or more and claim to regard them with respect. Major support this year from AROC Kent and East Sussex region. I am sure that they will make you welcome.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'll be there.

I think the reason most Alfisti have owned one but no longer do is the temptation to break them up for parts. Its only in the past year or so that I've seen a 12v go for much over a grand on ebay, and I bought that one for the chassis number alone

1 - 8 of 8 Posts