Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ugh, got to start looking for a job tomorrow and ideally want to have secured one by FRIDAY!!! :eek:

Got made redundant about 5 weeks ago or so and although I've not been paid my redundancy yet it's probably best to get a job sooner rather than later, :rolleyes:

I did work as a parts manager for a truck rental company in Avonmouth, but after head office realized that I was spending their money on parts I was one of the dudes that had to go! :lol: Not sure what they wanted me to do with their money, spend it on doughnuts perhaps??? :confused: The fact some other bugger is sat at my desk ORDERING all the parts now is a bit of a punch in the gut but whatever, :lol: Due to a glitch and technicality in my contract there's nothing that can be done about that chestnut. Bazzers! :mad: :lol:

Anyway, I REALLY want to get a job as either an assistant manager OR manager in one of the retail outlets at The Mall, Bristol, because it's close to where I live and I'd like to have another stab at retail to be honest for a laugh, get better acquainted with the dear old customer again as it were, :D

So wish me luck boys, a I'm gonna need it, getting a bit rusty so I am!!! :eek:

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
:thumbs:Go for it. I did retail for 12 or more years. Hated it but it pays a few bills.

My wife went for an Asst Managers job a few weeks ago. They said she was over qualified.... and wouldnt take her on unless she took the managers job. Result. Sh's just done her 1st 2 weeks. Pay day in 2 weeks.

The area manager said that the standard of applicant was very poor. kak CV's and dumb letters. Do yourself a favour and get a 1 page CV and a good letter of application.

I got my 1st managers job by donning a suit and going shop to shop. Currys liked the innitiative and I started there the next week.

Good luck with the mall.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Prof! :thumbs:

My CV was 5 pages long, :eek: I realized that this was way too long and shorted it to just 2 pages, the first page having all my details of contact numbers, address, etc, then education, then a personal statement about how i'm not a s**t head, then my current job, then on page 2 is a few previous jobs of importance, (So not many, :lol: )

Ive seen a few jobs over at the mall I'd like but instead of bothering with online applications etc I'm going to just head over their tomorrow dressed up nicely and actually chat one to one with the managers and hand out my CV's, see if anything bites. My only problem will be the pay, I reckon the maximum they pay over there is around £20,000 PA, it'll be a slight pay cut but I'm only 23 and need to pay the bills as you say.

I just need to get something to last me until start of next year really, then I can jump ship and get something else, :lol:

·
Registered
45,472 Posts
Darren, do you change jobs as much as you change your cars or what fella :p

I thought you were doing the "detailing" thing or did that dry up or I missed summat? :confused:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sadly K, it just aint paying the bills mate, have tried it but doesn't look as though it's going nowhere, :rolleyes:

I'm still keeping at it, but getting dribs and drabs.

Had this job for 3 1/2 years, MUCH longer than any of my cars, :lol:

·
Registered
45,472 Posts
Sorry to hear it didn't work out. I do wish you the best of luck in securing your next post! Hope it happens tomorrow which would be a bonus ;)

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, fingers crossed mate! Does help if I get some kip though, :lol:

Night team! :D

·
Registered
45,472 Posts
Yeah, get some rest and be fresh for the kill tomorrow like ;)

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow You want to go back into retail? :confused: You're the first person i've ever heard say that :lol:

Best of luck fella, contrary to what our beloved media want everyone to think, there ARE jobs out there. Keep your chin up and something will turn up sooner rather than later :thumbs:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
My wife went for an Asst Managers job a few weeks ago. They said she was over qualified....
no risk of them saying that to Darren :p (only yoking fella :lol:) ... good luck finding a job, although I'm a little surprised you haven't thought about going into the motor trade, you've got a good eye for a bargain and usually sell your cars for more than you bought them :confused: ... maybe worth a punt? one of the guys I work with does it "on the side" and it pays for him to go flying every weekend ...

·
Registered
648 Posts
Good luck Darren you need it.

I am looking for a job nearly 2 months now and struggling. I have sent about 20 cvs in the past week.

I originally went to college to do mechanics and worked for a scrapyard and then a garage and then moved onto welding/engineering now i am a welder to trade so trying to find either is very hard at the moment.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My CV was 5 pages long, :eek: I realized that this was way too long and shorted it to just 2 pages, the first page having all my details of contact numbers, address, etc, then education, then a personal statement about how i'm not a s**t head, then my current job, then on page 2 is a few previous jobs of importance, (So not many, :lol: )
I had a CV like that after graduation with patchy work experience. Read more like an autobiography LOL.

Careers advisor recommended 2 page max, with bulletpoints mentioning specific buzzwords / skills. He said this was because a lot of HR folks skipread CVs, so you have to make these things stand out.

Best of luck with it! :thumbs:

Worked in a petrol station once, couldn't face retail again! I'm not a people person though :)

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Especially in the current climate, potential employers are inundated with dross applicants. Keep it short and to the point. You can elaborate at the interview. My CV has a short bulletpoint list of acheivments, which is tweaked to fit the job I am applying for. Then work history, missing out the kak and my education summary at the bottom. All 1 side of A4. I bought a book years back for CV tips.

The proofs in the pudding. A few employers have commented on how good it is.... and I have never done an interview without being offered the job.

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
Hey Darren, good luck with the hunt !

Which one is the mall ? is it the new one with the fancy roof ?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cheers for all the comments guys, it's appreciated!

Handed in a bunch of CV's etc, see what happens.

Tomorrow though I'm going to hit some of the local Golf Clubs and try and get some bookings for my mobile valeting business that's doing so well, :lol: I've got 3 booked for Saturday, two full valet's and a wash and dry, so that'll be £80 in the back pocket at least.

Just try and gotta rake more business in now, :thumbs:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Stick at it mate, it is so easy to lose enthusiasm when looking for a job...

the contract i am on currently they are messing me about something chronic, i have been looking but there is little out there, god i really hope this bloody recession buggers off soon and things pick up for everyone

1 - 20 of 49 Posts