Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know I lost my job back in July. After 3 months without work I was offered a temporary job, running from Oct till end of March with a ski company. I took the job, which is 8 miles away from my house, and I enjoy it. I cycle 3 or 4 days a week too. The pay is pretty poor, but I have already been out for a free weekend in the mountains with a mate. I really like the boss, we get on well and I'm pretty good at the job, if I do say so myself. I am quite content there, even if its only till the end of March (although there is a possibility it might continue)

My best mate works for a kit car company, and whilst chatting the other night he mentioned his place might be looking for someone. I went in for a chat, and have been offered the job. It's a very enjoyable job building and modifying cars. It could be a lot of fun. The pay is about 5k per year better, but its 25miles away from my house. The other problem is that I would need to start early Jan. It would initially be on a 3 month trial. I'm quite worried that I would be well outta my depth, but they are convinced I can do it. I'd also be working alongside my best friend.

My issue is this: In theory I should bite their hand off. It's a once in a lifetime job, playing with special cars everyday, with more money. However, I feel a massive sense of loyalty to my current employer. He gave me a chance in an industry I am familiar with, and passionate about when nobody else would. He has already let me have a free weekend away, and paid me a Christmas bonus, and I really feel I owe it to him to finish "the season" I think there could be other avenues with my current employer too, although what I'm not sure.

I don't know what to do.
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
45,791 Posts
Kit car place - "might be looking for someone" or "desperately seeking new staff". If it really is the former, perhaps you can start in March?
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
45,791 Posts
On reflection I think you should take it - I was in a similar position when Ned offered me a job, although I didn't feel particularly loyal to my existing employer like you do, it was a case of surrendering security to take an opportunity and I did think long and hard about it, plus I had to uproot and move 200 miles which wasn't an issue for me but it was for my girlfriend.
 
E

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Do whats right for you not your boss. Speak to them by all means to see if it is likely you could get extended employment, but don't let a ski trip blind your judgement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,049 Posts
Ask them if you can start in March? If asked why, tell them the truth - they might appreciate your loyalty to your current employer - it shows you in a good light.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,126 Posts
Is "don't stick your hand in the till" in bad taste:eek:

Only kidding of course but whatever you do or go for, I hope you get something you want:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,673 Posts
Ask them if you can start in March? If asked why, tell them the truth - they might appreciate your loyalty to your current employer - it shows you in a good light.
Or like in my case when i was offered some hort term work and stayed where i was then went and asked at the place later on if they stll had the work thy said "you had your chance, so no"

Both jobs sound fairly temporary but one gets you experience you dont already have and would see you out beyond march.

If were me it would be an easy decision.

:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have already suggested starting in March, but they are looking for somebody to start in the new year.

If I can do the job it would be full time. Just have a 3 months trial to make sure I can do it.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
45,536 Posts
I would be open and honest. Tell your current employer about the situation, discuss it, see if you can come to a solution together that works for everyone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,604 Posts
I would be open and honest. Tell your current employer about the situation, discuss it, see if you can come to a solution together that works for everyone.
This.
No temporary employer is going to be disappointed with you have been given the opportunity for permanent work. In fact, I'm sure they would be delighted for you.

£5k a year is an extra £330 a month if you're on basic tax, that's a lot of money in your pocket - and more than enough to cover your new commuting costs, and probably put a bit aside to save up for a skiing holiday with the friends you've made in your current job.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,564 Posts
I would do what you feel is best for you. You say you 'have a sense of loyalty' to your current employer. There's no room for such sentiment in the current climate. My hubby was left high and dry last christmas by a 'wonderful' medical company after a few months who promised him the earth (and he was their top performer sales wise).

Although you are on a 3 month trial in the new job, you say that will carry on if all goes well but it sounds very sketchy whether or not your current job will continue.

Good luck :)
 
V

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
If your current job proves to be no more than temporary then stretch yourself and go for the job with your mate. If you're feeling guilty (there's no need really) have a good talk with your current boss about why you're going, thank him for taking you on, and try to repay him the Christmas bonus he gave you - he'll probably refuse to take it but he'll respect you for trying. If he does take it you'll soon cover your losses with the extra money you'll be earning in your new job. And if your new job doesn't work out, having parted on good terms, maybe your current boss would take you back?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,529 Posts
Have a chat to the employer, they'd understand that it's an opportunity of a full time job and they sound like decent people.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My current train of thought is turn down the new job, tell them I'm available end of March and if there is a job then brilliant. I don't know why, but I feel very loyal to my current boss, and don't want to leave them in the lurch between now and March, I think they would struggle to find somebody for that space of time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
My current train of thought is turn down the new job, tell them I'm available end of March and if there is a job then brilliant. I don't know why, but I feel very loyal to my current boss, and don't want to leave them in the lurch between now and March, I think they would struggle to find somebody for that space of time.
I would speak to your boss and and see what he thinks, ask what the likelihood of further work with him is and see what he can offer you for the future.

Every boss has always been looking for a job in the past so he will understand where you are coming from.

At the very least discuss it and find out your options then make your decision from there.

Where you are at the moment is a temp job and the potential new job sounds like a career
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,719 Posts
You've been offered a job which you say you'd enjoy, paying you more than your current job; why don't you take it? Don't worry too much about your current employer. From what you've said he would understand the situation; given current unemployment rates I'm sure he'd have no trouble replacing you - you're not indispensable!

Either way, you've only got guaranteed employment until the end of March. Isn't the better option the one which could lead to a full-time job?

Go, do it!
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top